Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Cyber Assignment 1
In class Tuesday, Sept. 25, we read the lyrics to Tupac's song: "Holler If Ya Hear Me" aloud. We even chose parts with the entire class acting as the chorus, coming in where Public Enemy would on the album, while Luchita was the voice of Tupac, strong and hard and powerful. It was fun!

The assignment is to respond in 250 words minimally to the following: Look at one of the 4 poems written in A Rose Grew From Concrete pp. 11, 13, 15, or 17 and compare and contrast the themes discussed in the song, "Holler If You Hear Me."
The assignment is due today. Paste it here.

Are students prepared for the essay, I suggested they list themes for the poems and themes found in the lyrics, then see where the two overlap before developing the thesis.

I have pasted the lyrics below along. Go to YouTube.


Aww yeah, uhh, uhh
Holla if ya hear me, yeah!

[Verse One]
Here we go, turn it up, let's start
From block to block we snatchin hearts and jackin marks
And the punk police can't fade me, and maybe
We can have peace someday G
But right now I got my mind set up
Lookin down the barrel of my nine, get up
Cause it's time to make the payback fat
To my brothers on the block better stay strapped, black
And accept no substitutes
I bring truth to the youth tear the roof off the whole school
Oh no, I won't turn the other cheek
In case ya can't see us while we burn the other week
Now we got him in a smash, blast
How long will it last 'til the po' gettin mo' cash
Until then, raise up!
Tell my young black males, blaze up!
Life's a mess don't stress, test
I'm givin but be thankful that you're livin, blessed
Much love to my brothers in the pen
See ya when I free ya if not when they shove me in
Once again it's an all out scrap
Keep your hands on ya gat, and now ya boys watch ya back
Cause in the alleys out in Cali I'ma tell ya
Mess with the best and the vest couldn't help ya
Scream, if ya feel me; see it clearly?
You're too near me -

[Chorus]
[2Pac] Holla if ya hear me!
"Hard!" .. "Tellin you to hear it, the rebel" - P.E.
"Tellin you to hear it.."
[2Pac] Holla if ya hear me!
"Hard!" .. "Tellin you to hear it, the rebel" - P.E.
"Tellin you to hear it.."
[2Pac] Holla if ya hear me!
"Hard!" .. "Tellin you to hear it, the rebel" - P.E.
"Tellin you to hear it.."

[Verse Two]
Pump ya fists like this
Holla if ya hear me - PUMP PUMP if you're pissed
To the sell-outs, livin it up
One way or another you'll be givin it up, huh
I guess cause I'm black born
I'm supposed to say peace, sing songs, and get capped on
But it's time for a new plan, BAM!
I'll be swingin like a one man, clan
Here we go, turn it up, don't stop
To my homies on the block gettin dropped by cops
I'm still around for ya
Keepin my sound underground for ya
And I'ma throw a change up
Quayle, like you never brought my name up
Now my homies in the backstreets, the blackstreets
They fell me when they rollin in they fat jeeps
This ain't just a rap song, a black song
Tellin all my brothers, get they strap on
And look for me in the struggle
Hustlin 'til other brothers bubble -

[Chorus]
[2Pac] Holla if ya hear me!
"Tellin you to hear it, the rebel" - P.E.
"Tellin you to hear it.."
[2Pac] Holla if ya hear me!
"Hard!" .. "Tellin you to hear it, the rebel" - P.E.
"Tellin you to hear it.."
[2Pac] Holla if ya hear me!
"Hard!" .. "Tellin you to hear it, the rebel" - P.E.
"Tellin you to hear it.."
[2Pac] Holla if ya hear me!
"Hard!" .. "Tellin you to hear it, the rebel" - P.E.
"Tellin you to hear it.."
[2Pac] Holla if ya hear me!

[Verse Three]
Will I quit, will I quit?
They claim that I'm violent, but still I keep
representin, never give up, on a good thing
Wouldn't stop it if we could it's a hood thing
And now I'm like a major threat
Cause I remind you of the things you were made to forget
Bring the noise, to all my boyz
Know the real from the bustas and the decoys
And if ya hustle like a real G
Pump ya fists if ya feel me, holla if ya hear me
Learn to survive in the nine-tre'
I make rhyme pay, others make crime pay
Whatever it takes to live and stand
Cause nobody else'll give a damn
So we live like caged beasts
Waitin for the day to let the rage free
Still me, till they kill me
I love it when they fear me -

[Chorus]
[2Pac] Holla if ya hear me!
"Tellin you to hear it, the rebel" - P.E.
"Tellin you to hear it.."
[2Pac] Holla if ya hear me!
"Hard!" .. "Tellin you to hear it, the rebel" - P.E.
"Tellin you to hear it.."
[2Pac] Holla if ya hear me!
"Hard!" .. "Tellin you to hear it, the rebel" - P.E.
"Tellin you to hear it.."
[2Pac] Holla if ya hear me!
"Hard!" .. "Tellin you to hear it, the rebel" - P.E.
"Tellin you to hear it.."

[2Pac] You're too near me, to see it clearly

[repeat 4x]
[2Pac] Holla if ya hear me!
"Hard!" .. "Tellin you to hear it, the rebel" - P.E.
"Tellin you to hear it.."

[repeat 2X]
"Hard!" .. "Tellin you to hear it, the rebel" - P.E.
"Tellin you to hear it.."

"Hard!" .. "The rebel"
"Hard!" .. "The rebel"

[repeat 12X to fade]
[2Pac] Holla if ya hear me!
"Hard!" .. "The rebel"

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Latrice Collins Lampkins
Professor Wanda Sabir
English 1A
9/25/07

The poem Life through my eyes by Tupac Shakur touches on similar topics in his song “Holler if ya hear me”. The messages about the violence and the mentality that one has to have when they live by the street life creed are detailed in the song and poem.

In the song Holler he tells “brothers on the block to stay strapped, to keep their hands on their gat and make sure that ya boys have your back” “Lookin down the barrel of his nine is part of payback”. Protecting ones self is a given in the street even if it means killing. He tells all of the “brothers that have been dropped by cops” and sent to the penitentiary that he is still hustling and representing for them on the outside until they meet again.

The poem Life through my eyes details how he has become cold and calculated. “My heart will not exist “The constant backdrop of poverty, murder and violence leaves him no time to rest”. There aren’t any positive clips to the poem, which must be why “fun and games were few”. I believe that the first line of the poem “Life through my bloodshot eyes” had nothing to do with the lack of sleep or over abundance of weed. I believe that his eyes were bloodshot due to the life that he was living and the negativity that he was experiencing.

I don’t know when he actually wrote this poem but I’m surmising that it was prior to his blossoming career. It seemed like he was referring to the alternatives of his destiny. Either his rap career would sky rocket or his current lifestyle was going to result in death. We know today that his destiny was multi faceted.

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luchita Graham
Professor Wanda Sabir
Composition & Reading
English 1A
September 27, 2007




A Lonely Militant


I deiced to compare Tupac’s poem “The Eternal Lament” to his song “Holla If Ya
Hear Me”. In many ways the two pieces of his work are a lot alike. And in many ways
they are very different. In both you hear a young man pouring out his soul and crying out
for people to listen. In this essay I will explain my point of view on Tupac’s work.

In his poem “The Eternal Lament” I could hear Tupac mourning the relationships with
family and friends that he let slip away. Tupac put his all into his work and the reason I
say this is because he says it in the poem “I yearn to achieve all of my goals, And all of
my free time will be spent, On the 1’s I miss I will lament“. If that doesn’t s explain it I
don’t know what else will. Tupac was alone although he was always surrounded by
people there was a void that his entourage and the groupies just couldn’t fill.
Tupac didn’t take time out to have a personal life, his work became his life. He wanted to
feel affection but by the way this poem was written he didn’t make time for it and I don’t
think he would do anything differently.

I believe in Holla he was speaking from his soul also, but from a militant stand point.
In this song Tupac had enough of asking for what was needed he was straight to the point
It’s time to take what we need because asking just wasn’t working. Tupac was really
speaking out against what he saw going wrong in his community and in society.
He was tired of the police brutality, the murders, and poverty so he spoke out in the only
way he would be heard through his music. Tupac cared about the people no matter what
some may think, he really did care.

Although Tupac spent most of his life working on his music and poetry, pouring out
his heart and soul while creating a very lonely life for himself he was able to get his
message out. Tupac could have easily done like a lot of other artist by just going in the
studio and putting something on a track to make a few dollars not taking time to think
about the message he was sending to the people. Even though his songs caused an
uproar in the political world, it also touched the live of people in the ghettos. Every one
didn’t always agree with his militant approach and that’s alright .Tupac cared, he put his
life into his music and it shows.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael Tran
Professor Wanda Sabir
English 1A
11-14-07

The poem When Ure Heart Turns cold by Tupac Shakur are somewhat on similar topics in his song “Holler if ya hear me”. In ways they talk about one thing and it is life with sadness.

In 2pac poem “When Ure Heart Turns Cold” you can hear him explaining his soul dieing. 2pac put his life into music and the music is his way to express himself. Instead of telling his problems he serenade his tunes “Loneliness becomes your routine friend.“ Most of 2pac was always hate and his mother. His mother was hardly there and could not help 2pac with comfort or love. 2pac living in my bad part of town and his mother in the Black Panther gang made it worst for him. He could never say he hated his mom but wish she could be a better role model.

In Holla he speaks out to the people and himself. 2pac was tired of talking instead he went to do something real becoming a role model to the less fortunate. 2pac took effort to speak to people who are in the same situation he was. In the end, people does not know 2pac the man who died, but a man who is still alive watching and hopeing you can help yourself to a better future.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Velva Block said...

Without a doubt, there are a lot of ways to deal with contemplate science and development in light of the fact that, there is web to help the understudies in each issue. It guides you to locate https://www.annotatedbibliographymaker.com/perfect-apsa-annotated-bibliography-sample/ the perfect arrangement of a particular and troublesome request relating to any point.

3:55 AM  
Blogger hayat said...

Through our service you'll get best ideas here. You'll be able to write excellent writing without any mistakes by yourself.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Hildegard Flatley said...

I read your article and understood that article making is incredible activity and not too much troublesome as the vast from this source majority think. I think, various people trust that article making is incredibly serious and hard anyway I can't resist negating all of them since they don't lock in and essentially use their words to state it troublesome.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Hildegard Flatley said...

Colleges and schools are crucial establishments in the general masses for each and every one of the complete system as these foundations are https://www.phdresearch.net/why-writing-research-phd-with-us/ the wellspring of offering bearing to every single one of the exhaustive system.

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home