Monday, October 15, 2007

Today in class we discussed the handout from Reading to Write. I suggested students practice doing the prereading exercises for the rest of the book. This is the homework, plus posting the freewrite response to the Writing Topic on page 16.

Also, students are to finish the rest of the package and answer all questions. We will respond to a Writing Topic tomorrow (pp. 32-33).Meet in the Writing Center Tuesday, October 16.

Additional reading, writing and viewing for those who have completed the book:Legacy of Torture video
http://www.freespeech.org/fscm2/contentviewer.php?content_id=1544

Connect this information what we have learned about the Black Panther Party and other revolutionary movements referenced in Dyson, Tupac's work and other such movements elsewhere in the world America has played a vital role in suppressing (Cuba, Nicaragua, Mexico, Chili, etc.) I'd also suggest students visit www.freedomarchives.org.

Also read the following article and think about it in reference to Tupac's song, "So Many Tears." How are the two connected?

The article
Promising varsity football player slain in tragedy San Leandro High mourns a 'great kid'

By Kelly Rayburn, Martin Ricard and Harry Harris, STAFF WRITERS
http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/ci_7182642 article on Ballard
Article Last Updated:10/15/2007 09:16:51 AM PDT

OAKLAND — Greg Ballard Jr.'s San Leandro High School classmates and football teammates were waiting and waiting for him to show up at Boomers in Livermore on Saturday night. That's where they were celebrating a school spirit night for the senior class. Earlier in the day, San Leandro's football team had won 26-21 over Bishop O'Dowd.

Ballard never made it to Boomers.

And his classmates soon learned that Ballard, 17, was shot shortly after 8 p.m. in East Oakland.

He died within a half-hour.

Oakland homicide Sgt. TonyJones said Sunday police have "absolutely no idea" why Ballard was shot.

No witnesses have stepped forward, and no one has been arrested, Jones said Sunday. The death was a tragic blow to those close to Ballard, who said that after running into some trouble, he had began to turn himself around. He was on track to graduate and doing well in school. He joined the football squad for his senior year.

"He finally saw which direction in life he wanted to go in, and he saw the door," said older brother Don Taylor, 29, of San Leandro. "But the door was locked, and the room went dark. I just wish he had a little more time to do some of the things he wanted to do."

San Leandro's head football coach, Brad Bowers, said, "It's a devastating blow to us to say the least ... he had actually turned into a fantastic student — a great kid and a great student."

Ballard had been through some rough patches in previous years. He even spent some time in juvenile hall, Bowers said.

But, to many people, he seemed to have moved past all that. Jerome Manos, athletic director at San Leandro and defensive coordinator for the football team, worked as a counselor at the school during the 2006-07 school year.

He said he met with Ballard his junior year and recommended he play football, thinking it would bring something positive to his life.

"He was one of my guys," Manos said about Ballard, who played safety and on special teams. "It was a very unfortunate thing that happened. He was a good kid. He was working hard. He was trying to get his life turned around and make better decisions ... unfortunately he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, I guess."

It is a rarity in prep football for someone to join the team his senior year after forgoing the sport for his first three years in school. In fact, Bowers said he does not typically take players on the varsity squad who haven't played in previous years. But Bowers said he talked to Ballard before the season and became convinced Greg was serious about changing directions.

"I couldn't help but support what he was doing," Bowers said.

At a two-a-day drills retreat the team took to Jackson before the season, Manos said Ballard told his coaches and teammates how important it was to him and his family that he graduate high school.

He seemed ready to achieve that goal. His senior portrait was already snapped. As Bowers and Manos tell it, Greg was a regular at practice, working hard, never late.

He faced a tough challenge playing with people who'd played in previous seasons, but, Bowers said, "He had a good attitude. He was at practice everyday. With our program it takes a humongous commitment."

The coach said Ballard had bought into the structure and discipline associated with being part of a team. It began to show in a changed attitude, not only on the field, but also in the classroom and on campus, Bowers said.

He had recently received a student-of-the-month award in his social justice class, Bowers said. Ballard did not see playing time against Bishop O'Dowd, though he had in previous games. After the game, his brother said, he went straight home to get ready for spirit night at Boomers.

But he didn't have a car. And couldn't catch a ride. So he changed his plans, Taylor said.

Ballard was in the 9200 block of Sunnyside Street when he was shot about 8:10 p.m.

Wounded, he was able to make it to the rear of a house on Sunnyside. That's where he was found. He was taken to Highland Hospital and died at 8:49 p.m., police said.

"It's terrible that just a few hours earlier he was celebrating victory with his teammates, and then he had his life taken," Jones, the homicide sergeant, said. "It's a real tragedy."

It was Oakland's 107th homicide of the year. There were 122 homicides this time last year.

Word spread quickly Saturday night that something had gone wrong. Bowers had his cell phone turned off, but turned it back on about 11:30 p.m. He had 25 missed calls, mostly from his players — and one from Ballard's mother. Manos got the news late Saturday.

"That was a big win for us," he said. "I didn't find out about this thing until late last night, and it just puts everything in perspective. It's tragic."

San Leandro Principal Amy Furtado got a call at about midnight. The news left her "devastated and troubled," she said.

"We all felt that he had turned a corner and absolutely had regained his focus," she said. "He had a bright future ahead of him."

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Latrrice Collins- Lampkins said...
I vaguely remember learning to read because it was such a long time ago. I must have been seven going into the first grade. I do remember that the school district was incorporating the phonics system into the curriculum. Class schedules were being split up into morning and afternoon sessions. The ideal was to make the class sizes smaller during the reading lessons. I was split off into the early bird class, which meant that I came to school early on certain days and late on the other days. My Mother wasn’t too happy about the changes. The phonic concept taught students to sound out the alphabets over and over again. We didn’t start sounding out words and rerading sentances until we had the alphabets mastered. One of the text books I remember was Dick and Jane. I remember the name of the book because it tends to be used in many jokes for those of us that are products of the sixties. I don’t remember any difficulties learning to read. My parent read to me a lot when I was young so it seemed like a natural process.

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember learning to read like it was yesterday just not what age(lol).I's assuming that it was 5 or 6 probably around the 1st grade like Ms.Collins-Lampkins. My sister was on mine and my mom's case about learning how read to because my sister always was infatuated with school and worked hard. My mom really wasn't stressing it because she thought eventually I would learn and she never had time because of working from 5 a.m. to 9 a.m. . So my sister stepped up and everyday after work or school she would help me with homework and reading though she had her own young adult life. I would enjoy the pictures but I would bore quickly with words, or wanted to go play outside with my friends. When I didn't pay attention my sister would slap me hard in the back of the head it pissed me off,but it caught my attention. Then in order so I could play or stop getting slapped I would read more and more day by day. My sister ended up moving out at 17 and I was left to look after myself(damn no help) and my mom was working hard(no diploma) my grandma didn't go to school due to poverty in our country, and my cousin was in the streets. Little by little I grew fond of reading and getting good grades so I would go to the Brookfield library to check out books. I would check out 10-12 books a week plus other books at my school's library, of course being young I was always late or losing books(lol). The difficulties I encountered were pronouncing words,no one to teach me upcoming difficult words,and reading books without pictures. I remember a lot of people were illerate in my schools due to their environment,or parents just not pushing hard enough. I was fortunate enough that my sister was on my case, and my mom made up stories from the book when my sister wasn't around anymore to keep me addicted. I knew that the pictures didn't coincide with the words it's alright though do what you have to get through the situation I was just happy that someone read to me(love ya mom).

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having moved to America from the Philippines at age 6, I was excited to attend school in the states. I didn't realize until the first day of school that learning/ reading/ writing in another language other then my own was going to be a difficult task. Since I had trouble with the English language, I was told to take an additional English class (30 minutes each day for a year) at my school along with other students that was having a hard time as well. My mom also helped by ordering a year worth of Highlights magazine (remember those?) Before I knew it, English became one of my favorite subjects in school. I had learned so much from taking that class (my teacher's name was Ms.Rainey by the way). I was taken off the class the following year (I didn't need it anymore).

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chantha Hack-Aguilar
English 1A
M-Th 11-12pm
October 15th, 2007

I remember how I learned to read and it was when I was in the second grade. I was put in The Early Birds group because some students and I were the fastest readers. The Late Birds were ones who were a little behind or slower than us. I remember feeling so special and proud of myself. I knew that I always had it in me to read well. I told myself that if I could speak English (which is my second language) well, I can definitely read well also. Because I had a better memory back then, it wasn’t hard for me to pronounced the words and forget the syllables. Seeing the same words over and over again, I already remembered how to say them without pronouncing them. That’s how good I was… And thanks to my second grade teacher, Mrs. Skadtime, reading started to be fun as a game of memorization and educational at the same time.
The truth about me if I know any adults that don’t know how to read is that I know none. Well, I don’t know any adults who knows English and don’t know how to read. But I do know some who are learning English and still have a hard time speaking it. These adults are those who speaks English as a second language. But then again, they could be learning to speak as they’re learning to read and that‘s a speedy process.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zareth Benavides
English 1a
October 17, 2007

When I learned to read, I was in Kindergarten at Corona Elementary, in Bell, Ca (Los Angeles county.) My teacher was Mrs. Jerry, I remember her vividly. It all started with the ABC’s and 123’s! Eventually I moved away to another part of town leaving Mrs. Jerry, leaving Corona, and starting anew at Liberty elementary. I hated it so much, (I was only there long enough to be in the Frosty the Snow man play!) Moving so much made it hard for me to attend school, but regardless I loved reading. I was always more of a math geek than a reader but one and one go together. It wasn’t until my family finally settled down in the Coachella Valley that I got the chance to actually pursue an education. In third grade, I had the most loving teacher a bi-lingual student could ask for, Mrs. Riddle-Wiser. She gave me the love of books, constantly challenging us to read higher-level books, and by the end of the term I was in third grade, reading at a fifth-grade level. Now as an adult you will never find me without my nose buried in a book, a book in my hand, purse, car, or even playing in the car. Reading expands my knowledge of truth, history, fiction, love, hope and spirituality. I wish I could say the same for my mom. She knows how to read, In Spanish that is, and even yet, not very well. She has the difficulty of being able to recall what she has read, or stay awake through a book. Her excuse is that she never finished school, and that she never wants to learn English because it isn’t easy. When, my dad was alive, but in the hospital, she would have me read books in English to him, and I could tell she was listening, trying to make out words and understand what I was saying. Saddened by the fact that my dad was the main one who helped us with our homework, I try to persuade my mom to learn the love of reading. She makes me giggle by giving me advice on what books to read and what authors to look into; when I read the book she’ll ask for a play-by-play of book. I wish she would have the capability of reading, I sure would be nice to know my siblings have someone at home that can help them with their homework.

2:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howard
Harrison

Reading and writing are essential skills you need in everyday life. Without these skills it would be very difficult but not impossible to live in America. Not knowing how to read or write can limit a person in various ways especially if you’re an adult. A piece called “A Family Affair” tells a man journey from illiteracy to literacy and the obstacle he had to face. A man named Robert Mendez didn’t learn how to read and write until he was 35 years of age.”My fear of words developed when I was seven years old. It continued each time I was held back in class, each time I was called stupid by another child”. Mendes admits that not knowing how to read or write limited his abilities. He says,” …I couldn’t read to my children. I couldn’t help them with their homework. I couldn’t respond to teachers’ notes from school. And when those times came around, I avoided them-avoided my own children. Even though he didn’t know how to read or write he still made a living based on physical talent. Thinking of his children’s future Mendez felt that it was time for a change, so one day he went into a literacy center and learned how to read and write. Learning how to read and write is necessary to be successful. However in the American school system you can be passed through grade school without really learning the basics. Good thing there are literacy centers for people to learn the things they need to be successful

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael Tran
nov 14 2007

When I was young I learn to read when I was in 5th grade. But before I felt stupid because people knew how to read when there in like 2nd grade and that made me sad. People never made fun of me because I was a nice kid and love by everyone. Often, when I read I studder and scared that people will laugh at the way I read. But now I still have trouble but now I am here to learn and get better at reading. When I get older I would want my child to read at a early age. Schools in America you really don’t have to learn reading until you get at a older age. My parents never read to me when I was young but now I will be helping my child to become a successor.

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jonell P. Ramos
English 1A
11-12
M-Th

The day i learned how to read, i can remember like it was yesterday. i was a hyperactive kid and it took my mom's all to keep me in one place. in the end, she locked me in the my room with a big ABC... banner, along with a fill in the blanks words. she also helped me sound out the words i was reading and it started with the small words. after a couple of long hours, i started with the bigger words and if i was unable to pronounce it, my mom would and i was able to sound out the others learning the prior steps i learned to read. it all happened in one day and writing is a different story, although i could read, my writing sucks and took a couple of months to make anything i wrote legible. i was 4 years old.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Emma Quillen said...

Wonderful blog post, The voice is so wonderful and once in a while soup and every so often so down according to the gathering of the condition. This see here site is useful to increase new thoughts.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Emma Quillen said...

Good post, The heading has other than an impact at work getting ready as when a man considers the things, take a look at the site here use in working environments, age lines and relationship than inside.

12:31 AM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Good post, The record of this film is to fight against the awful people can attempt to save the world with the best way. This https://www.paraphrasingservice.org/faqs-about-our-paraphrase-practice/ has some intrigue scenes which makes this film all the all the all the more enthralling.

3:02 AM  
Blogger RobertKY said...

Writing can be so satisfying if we all focus on the writing parameters. Thsi is teh reason i visit the site and learn about such plans so that it can provide me more confidence.

6:34 AM  
Blogger paulKimson said...

This writing center allows us to click reference and read what is important to you. We can really thank you for your this kindness. We must take a look on this program with more ideas.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home