Saturday, January 25, 2014

First Meeting

Today in class we will go over the syllabus, write responses (or start them), review the letter to students, practice paraphrasing and summarizing using an article from Americanway Magazine.

1. Log into your Peralta Account and locate the email I sent you.

2. http://professorwandasposse.blogspot.com

3. Read syllabus --write a three (3) paragraph response using examples from the text. Post on blog. Use the proper MLA heading on the assignment.

Student Name
Professor Name with title
Class name
Day Month Year
Assignment

4. Qualities of Good Writing Discussion using Americanway article as an example. Share other Baca poetry.
Discussed the essay and how to annotate. Didn't discuss the Qualities of good Writing. Talked about the Writing Process.

5. Annotation, paraphrase, summary -- read aloud with a partner and annotate the essay, then paraphrase a section. We will practice summarizing together

Handout--"How to Mark a Book" (posted on blog).

6.Council--getting to know each other (Didn't get to).

7. Homework--Freewrite and Essay. Buy books. Bring essay to class. Do not post.  Email introduction to me.

Next week:

Quiz on syllabus. Readings on blog from 50 Essays (MX and Helen Keller). Paraphrasing and summarizing using the material we have read. An ice breaker activity: Council Practice.

Lecture: paraphrasing and summarizing, how to quote, how to cite: the signal phrase.

Happiness Groups started. Talk about Rubin. Bring her book to class.



2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nadia Cade
Professor Wanda Sabir
English 1A
1 February 2014
First Meeting

My Response

Once I read the syllabus, I wanted to ask a lot of questions because there is so much information that I may overlook. I want to say that I’m excited about most of it, except the part about us writing 8000 words throughout this course. That sounds like a lot of typing, re-typing, and proofreading. It also sounds like a lot of education that can be gained from this course, so I’ll take the good with the bad. I can’t imagine myself writing 8000 words, but I will feel great once I do and get an “A” on all assignments (smile). Using the MLA format for all papers may mean that I will be doing more than needed.

The homework writing assignment that we were supposed to do for class today requires for us to write 2 pages and I did type 2 pages. Once I started to apply the MLA format, the paper came out to be 5 pages. I don’t want be penalized for doing way too much with my homework so I am willing to learn what I need to make my work acceptable. I’m looking forward to all of the work but mostly I will be proud of my portfolio at the end. I will do my work to the best of my ability, which may not be good, but to see myself go from a D to an A by the end, just may cause a tear to drop. The books for this course seem to be interesting and “The Happiness Project” book will most likely have most of my attention.

I think it very nice how the professor offers different ways to contact her, whether it is during school or on days I don’t have school. I’m really confident that I will pass this course because Professor Sabir offered her information and placed herself at my disposal. I plan to keep “logs” as suggested in the syllabus because eventually it will begin to showcase my progress, along with my downfalls that need to be corrected before I move on. I may have some issues with the assignment that I have to find and entrepreneur in California. I do know some entrepreneur’s but they are not in California. I will still turn in my papers on time and work hard on them so I can earn my “A”.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Eleven Chrysanthemums said...

Yessica Beltran
Professor Wanda Sabir
English 1A
1 February 2014
Syllabus Response




The syllabus gives a clear outline of what we will be doing in class this semester. As I was reading I began to feel a bit overwhelmed with the number of essays we’d be writing and the amount of work that came along with preparing for them. From what I read in the syllabus, there will be a lot of reading to do. That I don’t mind because I love to read. The part I’ll need to work on will be sharing my essays with others. I am a quiet person, more of a listener than a talker. I am hoping that sharing my essays with other students and having them give me feedback will help me gain more confidence in my ability as a writer. I am hoping to gain more knowledge on writing essays using the proper MLA format and citing works properly.
The syllabus also explained very clearly how we will be graded. I found this section reassuring, as it shows that everything we do in this class has a purpose. Everything from showing up to class to commenting on my peers’ essays goes towards my grade. There are three major essays that will make up most of my grade. I am most looking forward to the “Happiness Project” essay. The book seems to be very enjoyable. I believe it will not only give knowledge that I can apply in class, but also in my life. I plan to do my best to achieve a passing grade.
I am confident that if I focus and put all my efforts towards this class I can achieve my goals for this class. With the help of Professor Sabir and my peers I will improve my writing skills. I look forward to seeing my progress and how far I have come at the end of the semester.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home