Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Funny, students said in class today that the blog hadn't moved since a post about seven days ago. I mentioned that I hadn't updated the blog because we were still working on the assignment posted April 12, 2012. We completed an exercise from Diana Hacker in class looking at in-text citations Monday-Tuesday. For the most part we have been trying to get through the activities in Chapters 7-9 in They Say.

For Thursday, students are to have prepared Exercises 1 & 2 (128). Today students were to prepare exercises 1 & 2 (119-120).

I am going to have students post the responses to 1:128 in class.

For the exercises that ask students to look over something they have written, look it over before coming to class and annotate your writing. I suggested students use the same essay multiple times and change the color of the note. For instance, if one is looking at creating empathy, then the writer can highlight the sections that answer the questions "Why should I care?"

When looking at planting a naysayer in the text, the writer can use the same essay and highlight the sections that answer these questions in another color.


Book Report Essay Due Date Adjustment
There are due dates coming up and we have adjusted the due date for the Book Report essay. The planning, outline, etc. are due next Wednesday, April 25, 2012. The presentations for the Social Entrepreneur essay will not be May 14-15. We will do the presentations the final week the day of the final.

I am only allowing revisions for essays that get C- or below. I am not commenting on the entire essay, just one paragraph. I will give you a narrative note, re: the major problems by category. If any student wants more, come see me in my office.

Writers are only allowed 5 errors cumulatively, so if you make more, you are not getting a passing grade on the essay. I listed in a previous post what these errors are: coherence or logic, structure or organization, evidence, grammar, mechanics and MLA. Within the MLA, since this class is to learn proper documentation, I will allow students to correct this; however, if essay after essay has the same errors, I will not be as lenient.

The grammar errors are: confused words, parallel structure, pronoun agreement, verb tense, possessives, over use of be-verbs, misspelled works, pronoun agreement and vague pronoun references, sentence punctuation (run-on, fragments, comma splices).

We will meet in A-232 after all tomorrow, so students can catch up.

Homework: Read the book you selected and start writing the essay, even though it isn't due yet. The student essay with a thesis in the package I gave students, Writing with a Thesis, is a good example of an essay about literature. Make sure you are answering a question with the essay. I will give students mapping and invention handouts on Monday to use to generate ideas.

Other homework: We will continue with chapter 10: "The Art of Metacommentary" (129), Monday. Prepare Chapter 11 (141) and "What's Motivating This Writer?' Reading for the Conversation" (145) for Monday-Tuesday as well. This will help you write your book report essay.

You will use your book to reflect on the author's points. We might meet in the lab on Wednesday next week to reflect in a cyber-assignment.

Bring Half and Mighty to each class, along with They Say and Hacker. If students have the wrong edition of They Say, photocopy the correct assignments.

For the weekend: Continue in They Say. If you did not complete the freewrite, finish it over the weekend.

Announcements: The LAUNCH Conference at UC Berkeley, Friday, April 20, 2012, 8 to 1:30 at the Clark Kerr Campus. Attendance is Free. Lunch is provided. For information visit http://haas.org/launchyourcareer

Also Cal Day is April 21, 2012 Visit http://www.berkeley.edu/calday/

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daniel Escudero-Whitney
Professor Wanda Sabir
English 1A
19 April 2012

They Say / I Say
Exercise 1 – page 128

This excerpt is from Half The Sky, by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn:
We sometimes hear people voice doubts about opposition to sex trafficking, genital cutting, or honor killings because of their supposed inevitability. What can our good intentions achieve against thousands of years of tradition (206)?

Informal: Sometimes people talk about how opposition to sex trafficking, genital mutilation, or honor killings can’t be avoided. Our good intentions can’t stop a history of tradition.

Formal: Occasionally we hear of doubts about our position on sex trafficking, genital mutilation, or honor killings because they are inescapable. How can we oppose thousands of years of practice?

Mixed: We often hear of doubts about our position on sex trafficking, genital mutilation, or honor killings because people believe these things are unavoidable. How can we oppose something that has been going since the beginning of time?

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark Jansz
English 1A, Spring 2012
Professor Wanda Sabir
19 April 2012
Free-Write
“They Say I Say” Pg 128 Exercise 1.
Half the Sky. Page 105. (Dressed Down)
It is hard to understand why maternal death receives so little serious attention from health professionals, policy makers, and politicians. The world’s doctors are particularly neglectful of their duty in this regard. Instead of drawing attention to the problem and influencing for major programs and changes in priorities, most doctors concentrate more on a certain area that is more focused on high technology.
(Dressed Up)
It is difficult to understand why maternal mortality receives so little serious attention from health professionals, policy makers, and politicians. The worlds obstetricians are particularly neglectful of their duty in this regard. Instead of drawing attention to the problem and lobbying for major programmes and changes in priorities, most obstetricians concentrate on subspecialties that put more emphasis on high technology. (105)
(Blending of Both styles)
It is difficult to understand why maternal death receives so little serious attention from health professionals, policy makers, and politicians. The world’s obstetricians are particularly neglectful of their duty in this regard. Instead of drawing attention to the problem and influencing for major programs and changes in priorities, most obstetricians put more concentration and focus on high technology.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kenneth windham
professor wanda posse
English 1A
april 18 2012

Now everyone comes to me to borrow money, the same ones who used to criticize me And the children of those who used to criticize me now come to my house to watch T.V(202)

Now all those people who used to crticize me are the same ones asking for money, and their children are always at my house watching T.V

The people in my village who critcized my decisions, were the first group to ask me for financial assitance, nad it is threir children who come over my house to watch the television

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JovitaWechsler
Prof. Sabir
English 1A

They Say/ I Say Excercise #1, pg. 128

1) “ The comfortable life my parents gave my sisters and me was hard earned, a slow crawl from almost nothing. The story is impossible to tell without also explaining their history, and Liberia’s.” (Mighty 7)
-My parents came from the bottom and they worked hard to be able to give us a life where we had everything we needed. I can’t tell you the story without actually telling my parents history, and Liberia’s.
-The convenient lifestyle that was provided for my sisters and I wasn’t attained easily, my parents had to endure many hardships. Their ascension to a better life is inconceivable to understand unless one sees their history and Liberia’s.
-The comfortable life my sisters and I had was provided by my parents hard work Their ascension in life is difficult to understand without knowing their history and Liberia’s.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colleen Low
Professor Wanda Sabir
English 1A
19 April 2012

Page 128, exercise 1. They Say I Say.

Paragraph Exert: Mighty Be Our Powers…
“When you move so quickly from innocence to a world of fear, pain, and loss, it’s as if the flesh of your heart and mind gets cut away, piece by piece, like slices taken off a ham. Finally, there is nothing left but the bone” (Gbowee 39).

Dressed down:
When a person, who has not experienced life and horrible circumstances arise beyond their control, an individuals’ ideals of reality is crushed, and tears away what the self believes to have been their foundation.

Dressing up:
During sudden afflictions in developing individuals, vile circumstances are a causality, which in turn becomes problematic. The once prominent individual finds their relevance is non-existent to such evils, which in turn the pejorative afflictions placed on individuals causes vulnerability and renders feelings of helplessness.

Blending the two styles:
During sudden afflictions in developing individuals, vile circumstances are a causality, to which the individuals’ ideals of reality is crushed and tears away what one believes to have been their foundation. This imminently places their relevance as non-existent to such evils and causes the individual to feel vulnerable and renders feelings of helplessness.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoan Vu
Professor Wanda Sabir
English 1A
4 April 2012

They Say I Say p128 exercise 1

Paragraph exert: Half the Sky p92
original
There are times when all I want is a fast internet connection, a latte, and a highway to drive on. Yet the greeting I receive in the morning from my coworkers are enough to keep me here.
Formal
Occasionally when all I desire is a fast Internet connection, a latte, and an expressway to herd on. Yet the salutation I acquire in the morning from my coworkers are sufficient to preserve me here.
Informal
Some times all I want is a fast internet connection, a latte, and a highway to cruise on. Yet the welcome I get in the morning from my coworkers are enough to keep me here.
Mix
Occasionally when all I want is a fast internet connection, a latte, and a highway to herd on. Yet the salutation I get in the morning from my coworkers are sufficient to keep me here.

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JovitaWechsler
Prof. Sabir
English 1A
They Say/ I Say Excercise #1, pg. 128

1) “ The comfortable life my parents gave my sisters and me was hard earned, a slow crawl from almost nothing. The story is impossible to tell without also explaining their history, and Liberia’s.” (Mighty 7)

-My parents came from the bottom and they worked hard to be able to give us a life where we had everything we needed. I can’t tell you the story without actually telling my parents history, and Liberia’s.

-The convenient lifestyle that was provided for my sisters and I wasn’t attained easily, my parents had to endure many hardships. Their ascension to a better life is inconceivable to understand unless one sees their history and Liberia’s.

-The comfortable life my sisters and I had was provided by my parents hard work Their ascension in life is difficult to understand without knowing their history and Liberia’s.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home