Monday, March 26, 2012

I believe I have actually completed the essays, first round. If you have not heard from me, Sulekha yours is coming, and Courtney, I don't see your essay submission. If you did not get an essay back, this means I did not see if for some reason.

Shoot me an email tonight with your work, so I can read it before class.

If you have sent me the revisions, make sure the graded essay is there along with your narrative discussing, in great detail what changed between drafts. Tomorrow we will review the exercise and then I will grade a few essays revisions to give you a feel for what a passing essay needs to possess.

All the other parts of the portfolio follow just as with the first submission: peer review, planning, etc. The history follows the new work.

Homework was to follow the assignment sheet. Today students hadn't completed their planning. I can tell when a student has just completed the assignment a step ahead of the student called on just before. Even though we are not talking about They Say, keep up with the reading and assignments there as well.

The handout from Writing with a Thesis is also due up to the letters of complaint. For Wednesday, read the two student essays. If you were absent, make sure you get copies of these handouts.

For the Half the Sky essay, I am going to grade for how well students integrate citations into the text as well as the MLA in the essay, which includes the works cited page. Of course the essay has to make sense and the grammatical errors cannot include: comma splices, run-on sentences, be-verb errors, sentence fragments, subject verb agreement errors, vague pronoun references, use of contractions, numerals instead of the words for numbers 1-10, confused words, misspelled words, pronoun agreement errors, pronoun case errors.

Everyone had the opportunity to come to my Pidd Intensive Workshops this semester and chose not to, so if you fail the course because you do not know how to edit your work, drop now and take a grammar class or get a tutor and do not turn in drafty drafts to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home