Thursday, February 07, 2013

The Happiness Project Cyber-Station

Each week, students are asked to post reflections on the reading and on their personal Happiness Project (post your resolutions developed this week). Feel free to share freewrites, questions and comments on the text. We have completed chapters 1-4.

For this week, also reflect on the first meeting with your group. What are your hopes for the group?

Rubin writes: 

Identify your aims

The First Splendid Truth will help you identify areas to tackle in your Happiness Project.

Ask yourself:

▪ What makes you feel good? What gives you joy, energy, fun?
▪ What makes you feel bad? What brings you anger, guilt, boredom, dread?
▪ What makes you feel right? What values do you want your life to reflect?
▪ How can you build an atmosphere of growth—where you learn, explore, build, teach, help?

Students can be anonymous here. Use your student IDs. The blog is a safe space. Keep the comments positive, even when you express a complaint. Pose a solution, not just the problem unless you do not know the answer.

Use Rubin to help find answers. Even though you are anonymous, use a proper heading and put the time of your class meeting. Again, this link is a weekly check-in. These reflections can be multiple. They should be minimally 250 words. If you need more space continue your post in another comment (smile).

You can also respond to others. We are not in silos.

Here is a link to Rubin's site: http://www.happiness-project.com/get-started/get-started/

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

apologies wasn't sure were u wanted our "happiness project reviews"

Cecilya Alanis
Professor Sabir
English 1A 4-5:50
Feb 7, 2013

Its been one week since i started reading this book came in the mail. i am only in the second chapter. So far i find her resolutions and "problems" to be rather pathetic. Although i find her to be a good individual and it is always encouraged to improve ones self, i find myself more wanting to throw the book and yell for her to get a REAL problem. All in all i hope the book picks up a little.

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huy Vo
Professor Sabir
English 1A 4-5:50
Feb 9, 2013



apologies wasn't sure were u wanted our "happiness project reviews"

The book is a reminder that the only true goal of life is to be happy. I thought about about what happiness means for me and what I want out of my life. Rubin reminds me to stay positive. The part of her life that spoke to me was how she went to law school but changed the trajectory. Rubin wanted became an writer; and her career change was successful. And from reading this book, my goal is to find ways to become a positive person, like Gretchen Rubin. It was interesting how she found faults in her own character; and then, she changed it. Rubin is an intelligent women who sticks to her goal. She simply isn’t saying but actually doing by drawing a chart, then setting goals for herself.

These following months, I am going to set goals for myself. The hardest would be the first step, in which I go off road like Rubin and be proactive. One of the biggest step towards happiness I learned is the collective society. There are multiple ways one find true happiness. As for me, I discover my vocation; the next follow months, I will be working to become better at what I love. I will also be working removing the negativity from my life. The first would be breaking my habits each day. Though when I think about the first steps, it is like nuditiy in public or like riding a bike the first time.

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michele Gregory
Professor Wanda Sabir
English 1A 1-2:50
Free Write:
I would listen to things that motivate me. Since I was always in band class throughout my school days, I like all kinds of music. Right now for instance I am listening to Pandora’s Simple Red copulation. I would say that it is mostly easy listening music, e.g. Sade, Simply Red, Seal…., To actually do my homework I listen to fast rock music like, linkin park, Metallica, and Chevelle. I like songs like The Red by Chevelle, all the music Metallica has done, and all the music Linkin Park has done as well. It really depends on my mood. Sometimes I need to just let the music to fade out the outside so I can think on the inside. The new band that I have discovered is Avenged Sevenfold. They have a great way of putting their music to real life situations.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home