Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Day 1: The New Semester Begins

Good morning students:

Today in the 9-9:50 a.m. class we got to know each other a bit before getting into groups to talk about Happiness. Groups chose a name and for homework each student received a copy of an essay by Helen Keller, a woman who talks about how language brought her happiness. 

I think she would say there are many ways to see.

Homework is to bring in a three paragraph typed summary of the essay. For the sophisticated or experienced writers in the class, you can use a free paraphrase in the first paragraph, short citation in the second and end the third paragraph with a long quote or block quote (smile). If you do not know what I am talking about, just summarize the essay.

Include on the last page a works cited or bibliography. Don't forget to mention the name of the article and its writer in the opening paragraph.

Again, bring to class to share. If students ever have technical difficulties, write out the assignment and type it later.

Some students did not get my Letter of Introduction. Check with Admissions and Records re: Passport problems. This is where I sent the letter.

I shared the books with students. We will begin using the books next week beginning Wednesday, January 30.

Buy 50 Great Essays: A Portable Anthology, Third Edition, by Samuel Cohen and The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, and Rules for Writers by Diana Hacker, Nancy Summers, and They Say, I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing by Gerald Graff, Cathy Birkenstein, ASAP.

We will start They Say, week three with Hacker. However, I will begin referencing Hacker this week.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jose Galindo said...

I have read and understood the syllabus. If I at any time have a problem or concern, I'll drop by your workshop or by your office to ask for extra assistance. I'll also check out the Writing Center in order to get extra help. I know this class will be very challenging, but I will try put in one hundred percent effort at all times. I hope to pass the class with at least a B. I also hope to achieve better writing and reading skills. Also, to learn and achieve perfect MLA format.

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, Vaneshia Tillery, have raed and understood your syllabus. I have no questions at this time. If I do have any questions I will surely schedule an appointment with you on a Thursday between 2-4pm. I am fully aware that your office is located in the D-216 suite. Thank you for answering the questions that I have already asked.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Brendan Gaines have read the syllabus and feel comfortable with what is expected of me as well as the resources available to me. I look forward to a great semester and learning a lot.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Joctan Chicas-Campos read the syllabus and for now I have no questions, but I do the I can contact you or my fellow class mates for help. Hopefully I can overcome the challenges that will come in this class and finish the semester strong. But if I struggle along the way, then hopefully I can come to you for help or my class mates.

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the syllabus and I feel that i understand what is expected of me. I like how everything is lined out and throughly explained. I feel that I shouldn't have a problem knowing when the homework is due and what we will be covering in class. If I have any questions, I'll be sure to see you during office hours.
- Bianca Moreno-Travis

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, Jasmine Senephansiri have read & fully understand the class syllabus. At this time I have no questions or concerns but if I ever do have any I will bring them to you. This course is going to be challenging but I am up for it. I will visit the writing center often like posted.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Jose Lopez said...

I Have read the syllabus and understood the requirements and procedures of any kind. if i have any question or concern about something i will make sure to talk to you either after class or during your office hours.
thank you,
jose lopez

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home