Saturday, January 25, 2014

State of the Union Extra Credit Assignment and recap for today

Today went really quickly. We ended class at 12:30 p.m. Look at assignment due dates. I have changed them to reflect our discussion. I will post in a separate link the freewrite assignment: Watch and/or listen to President Obama's State of the Union Address, Tuesday, January 28, 2014.

See http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2014/01/21/one-week-today-state-union-2014
I always think it's good to hear the analysis afterward. Check local broadcasts for follow-up discussion. KPFA 94.1 gives good analysis, so does KQED 88.5 (channel 9), and KGO and KPIX.

Write a one page response that looks at three-four points you would like to comment on. Give a brief summary of the entire talk, that is, note the high points or key ideas and then narrow the discussion to what you plan to address.

Don't forget the works cited section of the essay.

Note

To post assignments, you have two due this coming week, you need a gmail.com account. Click on the tab marked comment at the end of the post where the assignment is you are responding to and post in the box. I suggest you write the comment in a Word Doc and then paste it in the comment box.

The two assignments are the response to the syllabus due January 28 and an emailed introduction of yourself due to me due by Thursday, January 30. The email address is coasabirenglish1A@gmail.com

If you have questions, email me. I will have office hours before class next week at 8:30 a.m. in the classroom A-205.

I posted the Mortimer Adler Essay in a separate link. I posted links to the essays for Helen Keller, Sherman Alexie, Frederick Douglas and Malcolm X in the syllabus and in a separate post called 50 Essays, They Say, etc.

I also put a link to the They Say book I found on-line in the syllabus.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rashell Baldry said...

Rashell Baldry
Professor Wanda Sabir
English 1A Saturday
26 January 2014
Lanuage Freewrite

The only language I currently speak is english, but would love to be fluent in spanish at some point in life. I definately shift from a more casual, or "chill" english from my home to work. I am more professional at work; Using more appropriate language from not swearing, to saying phrases like, "I'm going to powder" instead of announcing I am going to the bathroom. I remember when I first discovered different forms or tones of english. I was sitting in the back of my Mom's car, probably around seven years old, getting repremanded for one thing or another. I then responded to her, "okay" with such a harsh attitude. Now I'm sure I had gotten bratty with her many of times, but this was the first time I felt like I had the power to use that certain tone. I then got older, started working very young, and learned how to speak in a more proper manner. Changing our english at certain times I believe is a necessity, its a way of communication, a way to excel and be respected in the workplace, or any public, professional enviroment. It's not as if I am changing who I am, just bringing it up a notch. The way I engage with guests at my work Bocanova is through my personality, I would never hide that. I alter my english and pitch of my voice when I need to, I leave my personal life at home, my exaggerated work gossip with my roommate, funny volger humor, innapropriate stories, extra "sass" I give my boyfriend; The entertainging laughs and love I look forward to coming home to. I walk out the door with a smile and bring the amplified respectful personality out into the world.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home