Monday, November 26, 2007

Monday, Nov. 26: Counting Down

Today we met in the Writing Center Lounge. We'll meet in the L-Bldg. for the rest of this week and perhaps the semester. It seems easier than the alternative. We completed the exercises on logical fallacies in Hacker (345-368). We also talked about the difference between inductive reasoning, that is, arguing from the specific to the general and deductive arguments, arguing from the general to the specific. We noted that in both cases, the conclusion or claim is only an approximate, not absolute truth.

Homework is to respond to the pre-writing prompt on the Ann McClintock essay, "Propaganda Techniques in Today's Advertising." The essay is due Monday, Dec. 3. The essay is a response to one of the five questions at the end of the McClintock essay. It needs to be minimally 250 words long. Post it here.

Remember, the last information literacy session is Wednesday, Nov. 29, in the library with Steve Gerstle, 11-12 noon.

The final draft of your essay is due this following day for a peer review. I have copied the dates and grade criterion below. I gave students a hard copy today. If you were absent, you can pick up a copy of the McClintock essay at my office.

Students are still resisting asking the reference librarian for help. They are the experts, ask for assistance. They are teachers and are a great resource most students ignore.

Research Essay English 1A

Essays were due for peer reviews last Wednesday, Nov. 21. We will do the peer reviews today instead. The final draft is due to me, Thursday, Nov. 29 on a disk or CD. I'd like your planning sheet and outline, plus at least one peer review based on the handout I gave you last week (see Hacker pages 26-27. If you do not have all these parts you will loose points on the essay.

The grading will be based on the following:

The essay writing: 65 percent
essay structure and organization: introduction, body and conclusion
clearly stated thesis,
topic sentences,
evidence

Research 15 percent
How well does the student know the topic
How sound is the research
Use of signal phrases
paraphrases
block quotes

Grammar 15 percent
Syntax and mechanics
I am particularly looking at dependent and independent clauses; fused sentences, comma splices, subject verb agreement, pronoun reference agreement in gender and count, spelling and misuse of words

A way to avoid this is to read the paper aloud before you turn it in

Supplementary documents: 5 percent
Essay Planning Sheet
Essay outline
Peer review or review of essay by a teacher/tutor in the Writing Center.

What the tutor/teacher recommends is just that, a recommendation. Take what you agree with and leave the rest.

An A is 95-100 percent; B 85 percent; C 80 percent

There is an automatic revision required for any grades below 80 percent. You have one week to respond. This is a high impact grade which is none negotiable. You need to have a passing grade on this essay to pass the class.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Latrice Collins-Lampkins
Proffesor Wanda Sabir
English 1A
11/26/07



I consider myself a hard sell when it comes to radio and television commercials.
I rarely purchase products based on ads that I see and hear. Although the media uses commercials as advertising entertainment and revenue hording, I consider them to be a prime opportunity to flip through the channels, kitchen runs and bathroom breaks.

Food commercials don’t necessarily make me buy the products that are being advertised, but they do at times make me hungry. I often make kitchen runs after I have watched a food commercial. I suppose that sublimely the advertisement has worked in a way to make me think that I need to eat. I have to admit Lays commercials get to me.

Car advertisement use transfers and glittering generalities that are so far fetched that they make me laugh. American auto manufactures use patriotism and the American flag to sway their viewers. I owned one American car and it was probably the most unreliable car I have ever owned. I haven’t purchased an American made car since the first one and I haven’t seen a commercial that would change my views.

I believe that I am affected by visual ads more than I am to television and radio ads. I receive several magazine subscriptions that are filled with pages and pages ads. I will have to say I have purchased many a lotions and fragrances based on print ads. Not only do these ads have detailed information, but you may even get a tab that gives you a sample of a fragrance. Print ads will get me online and in the stores to see if the claims that I have read are factual of fiction.

Media advertising is big business and it must be working for many people. Companies are expanding faster than they are closing. However, I consider myself to be an informed consumer. The bottom line for me is price. I look for the wholesale price on everything and I mean everything. The mark up on most products are ridiculous, so if I’m buying something at full price it has to be really worth it. Commercials are not the deciding factor for me.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Professor Wanda's Posse said...

I agree with you Latrice. If it's on TV or radio, I steer clear of it. I am more a word of mouth person whether it is a product or a friendship. If someone I know values something or someone, I might give it a chance.

Otherwise I rely on research and other unbiased references and comments on a product I am considering whether that is an idea or a weed killer.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

I truly like the BOG group since this group make new procedures for training which are useful for understudies instruction. Through this https://www.fellowshippersonalstatement.com/geriatric-medicine-fellowship/ site of composing we can think about the new methodologies and changing of training framework with detail effectively.

2:46 AM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

A few people said that music associated with soul and some said that music associated with heart. I don't think about which thought is right yet I realize that http://www.gradschoolstatementofpurpose.com/statement-of-purpose-graduate-school-writing-services/statement-of-purpose-for-nursing-graduate-school/ individuals can download music effectively through this website.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Language instruction are some sort of voice hearing treatment then you can get familiar with this you will be loosen up mode and the https://www.phdthesiswriting.biz/best-word-count-tools-ever/ subtleties are online to impart to you. In the event that you are intrigued to get this language instruction you can enroll on the web and get help through the webpage.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Darlene Glidewell said...

These days, there are additionally such people on the planet who feel terrible they read book or article. They can listen their most worshiped on this site subjects in the voice on web on the off chance that they don't wanna read the article or book.

1:54 AM  
Blogger Hildegard Flatley said...

The lead of the key with his instructors is incredibly essential for the upgrade of the school. Each teacher will train from heart in the look at this website wake of seeing the better lead from the key which is fundamental for any establishment's splendor.

4:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home