Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Today we cracked open Stewart Pidd and the exercises were a commercial in why the book might be useful. I don't plan for the book to take a semester to get through. It is a brush-up for some and more of a brush-up for others. I think Pidd is going to be a fun writer to get to know.

Homework was to begin working your way through the first part of the book: Confused Words. Tomorrow I will give you hand-outs I made of a section in the book on paraphrasing and then next week we'll talk about the first essay.

The Pidd book costs about $52.00. For those who ordered it on-line great, for those who waited, it's too late and you need to get it now.

I didn't assign anything else from Dreams, we didn't get a chance to share. We will tomorrow morning.

I gave students a paper copy of the syllabus; I noticed an error in the section on SLOs or Student Learning Outcomes. I corrected it on the blog. The first sentence is not a sentence and it doesn't make sense. Don't forget to respond to the syllabus; let me know you read it.

We reviewed clauses, parts of speech, and punctuation.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bridgette Copprue
Eng1A 9-9:50am
28 January 2009

Response to Syllabus...

Prof. Sabir,

I did read the syllabus on yesterday and saw two sections were the same. At first, I thought that it may have been for your 8 to 9 class and the other for us, your 9 to 10 but they state the same thing. The rest of the semester sounds exciting to say the least.

I answered the five goals I have for myself on the printed copy, where do you want us to post them on the site?

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mesha Shavers

I read the (silly bus )and I see you have high expectations for us.
I'm looking forward to the challenges that lie ahead.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Professor Wanda's Posse said...

Silly Bus :-) Cute. Yes, I have high expectations for all of us. It's a new day. Keep the goals for yourself in a place where you can review them often. I don't need to see them.

I'll check to see where the syllabus is redundant. Perhaps you can show the passage to me in class.

1:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andre Stephens
English 1A – 9:00 – 9:50

Syllabus Response

The syllabus seems to be clear and to the point. It’s going to take discipline, diligence and being steadfast not only with class work, but with all assignments in order to get a good grade and become a better and stronger writer. Ms. Sabir, you have set the bar high for all of your students. There is a scripture that is perfect for this situation and is found in Luke 12:48. It says, “For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required”. You are the type of teacher who wants all of us to succeed. Based on the syllabus, this class will no doubt be the most challenging English class I have had, but just think about life.

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Zach again i responded to the syllabus where you posted it.

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zachary Parker
2\2\09
Eng A213
I am not sure if this is the correct spot to do the summary of the preface but here it is.

On the first page of the preface he tells us when he first published the book he was afraid of it no doing so well and maybe stick to his school work instead. He then goes on to tel us about the election he won and about the fact that when his friends first pursue him to go in to politics. He also regrets the way he wrote this book ten years a go and wishes to shorten it by 50 pages or so. When 9\11 happened everyone was in shock and he wished to write about it but could find the word and decided to just watch in go under the table. He writes on how his mother was taken by cancer ,but thats not whats it about it was about how she tried to help by going from Africa to Asia and that we should all look for the good in the word.

well thats it for me sorry for not doing this earlier but my internet is down so i had to do it ant school.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Professor Wanda's Posse said...

I corrected the syllabus. Thanks for letting me know there was a problem.

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recieved the new syllabus.

English 1A
Tipton

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home