Monday, March 16, 2009

Today we reviewed Essay 3 and talked about Greek playwright Aristophanes hilarious "Lysistrata." We'll read it on Thursday, March 19. Bring in a copy.

Lysistrata
http://www.theatredatabase.com/ancient/aristophanes_005.html
http://drama.eserver.org/plays/classical/aristophanes/lysistrata.txt (the play)

LYSISTRATA, the third and concluding play of Aristophanes' War and Peace series, was not produced till ten years later than its predecessor, the Peace, viz. in 411 B.C. It is now the twenty-first year of the War and there seems as little prospect of peace as ever. A desperate state of things demands a desperate remedy, and the Poet proceeds to suggest a burlesque solution of the difficulty.

The women of Athens, led by Lysistrata and supported by female delegates from the other states of Hellas, determine to take matters into their own hands and force the men to stop the War. They meet in solemn conclave, and Lysistrata expounds her scheme, the rigorous application to husbands and lovers of a self-denying ordinance--"we must refrain from the male altogether." Every wife and mistress is to refuse all sexual favours whatsoever, till the men have come to terms of peace. In cases where the women must yield 'par force majeure,' then it is to be with an ill grace and in such a way as to afford the minimum of gratification to their partner; they are to be passive and take no more part in the amorous game than they are absolutely obliged to. By these means Lysistrata assures them they will very soon gain their end. "If we sit indoors prettily dressed out in our best transparent silks and prettiest gewgaws, and all nicely depilated, they will be able to deny us nothing." Such is the burden of her advice.

After no little demure, this plan of campaign is adopted, and the assembled women take a solemn oath to observe the compact faithfully. Meantime as a precautionary measure they seize the Acropolis, where the State treasure is kept; the old men of the city assault the doors, but are repulsed by "the terrible regiment" of women. Before long the device of the bold Lysistrata proves entirely effective, Peace is concluded, and the play ends with the hilarious festivities of the Athenian and Spartan plenipotentiaries in celebration of the event.

The drama has a double Chorus--of women and of old men, and much excellent fooling is got out of the fight for possession of the citadel between the two hostile bands; while the broad jokes and decidedly suggestive situations arising out of the general idea of the plot outlined above may be "better imagined than described."

This article is reprinted from Aristophanes: The Eleven Comedies. Trans. Anonymous. London: The Athenian Society, 1922.


Homework: Read Obama's Dreams. Develop a few (3) essay questions.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rebecca Evans eng 1a 9-10
Possible essay questions for Obama essay

1.How does Obama create himself through the presence and influence of his father who were the father figures in his life and what did they teach him?

2.“Dreams from my father” is a coming-of-age story in which a Obama straddles two cultures to seeks his identity in the adult world. How does he succeed? What conclusions does he reach?

3.Talk about his work as a community social worker on Chicago's south side. What does he learn or come to realize about his role in the African-American community?

4.Write about community in Obama’s book. What communities are there? How do they work (or not)? Explain how Obama evaluates various communities and show what he values in a community, as seen in his book.

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Why are the Obama children lost in their own identity?
2. Why do the Obama children call their father “Old Man”?
3. Obama has a hard time identifying which culture he belongs to, should he have to choose between the black and the white culture?

Tipton
English 1A

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jose Vasquez
English 1A
17 March 2009

Dear Felicia,

After reading “Ladies First” I started thinking about my experienced in Chicago. When I first started thinking about becoming a community organizer many people including some who I considered friends question me. Many people told me that it was no use becoming a community organizer because people did not care about their community. Some persuaded me into choosing a different career because some said that a community organizer did not make enough money. I did not pay attention to what people said I followed my heart and decided to become what I felt was the best career for me. I decided to become a community organizer because I wanted to help people that felt that they were alone, people that had lost hope in their lives. If I had listen to those people that try to discourage my dream I probably wouldn’t be here writing this letter.

I feel really proud when I read about people that follow their dreams even when some people try to discourage them. I feel really proud reading about you knowing that you might inspire young women to fight for their dreams. Growing up I always heard people say that women especially women of colored were never going to hold a position as a politician. Now that I am the president of the United States I had the fortunate to allow many women come in to work with me. My wife Michelle is now the first lady and obviously I am going to try to give her opportunities were she could work with people that need help. I hope that you continue writing stories like “Ladies First” and hopefully inspire many young girls and boys to follow their dreams. You have really given me motivation to continue working with people that have lost hope in. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home