Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Tempest

Today we reviewed the handout given Monday from Writing with a Thesis on thesis sentences. We reviewed the package and went over the exercises on identifying Good vs. Not a Good Thesis. Complete the package and we will review it Wednesday, Sept. 1. I gave a copy of a booklet on Paraphrasing and Summarizing. Complete this handout ASAP, certainly by Tuesday, Sept.7.

We are reviewing. Next week we will review thesis sentences and students will write a short essay in class or start an essay on Thursday. The activity will be practice incorporating sources: free paraphrase, shorter citation and a block quote. We will also practice signal phrases.

We started reading The Tempest. Students have copies of the first Act,Scenes 1 & 2. We have identified a cast and there is no homework. We are reading it in class. If students are lost in the play, you can read the plain English on the opposite page.

You will have an independent study assignment on Thursday, Sept. 2. I haven't decided whether you will email it to me or post it. I will have it up Thursday morning. It is due the same day. Make sure you comment on another student's post, if it is a cyber-assignment.


Theatre Review
I have had no chance to raise any funds for theatre tickets yet, but I haven't forgotten. I didn't get a chance to tell you about Trouble in Mind at Aurora Theatre.

I liked it, but the first act was a throw away. It make me wonder why I was seated in the theatre. The second act was better, but if you have limited funds, I wouldn't spend it on a play that I only half liked (smile).

I like members of the cast--I am a fan of quite a few of them and I love theatre so much that if I don't like the story, I like the acting, set...I am just addicted (smile).

But you are not, at least I don't think so, so I want to save you time. The play is great if one is interested in a critique on American theater and how biased and narrowly defined it is for all except the dominant cultural police. Childress's protagonist,actress "Wiletta" and the director are a study in stereotype meets carpenter.

So we are not going as a class to this one. There is a play reading on Sept. 20. It is free. I think it is at 7 p.m. It's a Tennessee Williams. Southern writer, I like Williams too. I might go to this. Again, it's free. Let me know. I am really busy next month --lots of plays to see.

I loved Hoyle and I really like Reed. Genny Lim's is free, so you can't beat that (smile).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home