Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Cyber-Assignment for Quotation Sandwich

Today in class we reviewed the first essay assignment from the blog. After I clean up the grammar and spelling, I will give students a copy (smile).

Students than shared their quotation sandwiches with classmates then wrote an original one or two. Post those examples and original citations here.

In the latter two classes we wrote a quotation sandwich together. We didn't complete the bottom slice in the 11-11:50 class. Students were to write a closing commentary and post here. I hope students copied the first part of the quotation sandwich down. I have not posted it here yet. 

Homework for Sept. 19

Homework for Thursday is to read They Say: "Yes/No/Okay, But" (55-67). As you read this chapter, think about how Theoharis in Mrs. Rosa Parks "agrees and disagrees with a difference" (Graff Birkenstein). Find 5-10 instances of this.  See Exercise 1 page 67.

You will use a move from this chapter in your essay due next week as well. Sometimes the move is more philosophical than literal, that is, you keep the players in mind at all times and think about whose view might be left out.

Other Homework for next week

For Thursday, Sept. 26, bring in a book you'd like to read for the Book Report essay.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ryan Djafaripour
Professor Wanda Sabir
English 1A (8:00-8:50)
17 September 2013
Quotation sandwiches

1. In discussing the trials one must endure while being a cripple, Nancy Mairs tells us that: "The most important struts in the framework of my existence, of course, are my husband and children."(Mairs 249) The love and support that her family provide helps her stay strong, as this disease is a huge burden that not many would realize.
2. As we continue reading about the Multiple sclerosis disease and how it affects Nancy Mairs, she says: "I may be frustrated, maddened, depressed by the incurability of my disease, but I am not diminished by it."(Mairs 256) The hardships that she faces are not going to bring down the strong will of Nancy Mairs as she lives on with this disease and has no fear.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Taylor Byias
Professor Sabir
English 1A 8:00-8:50
17 September 2013
They Say I Say 4 Quotation Sandwiches
According to Sherman Alexie, “There are the sullen and already defeated Indian kids who sit in the back rows and ignore me with theatrical precision. The pages of their notebooks are empty.... ‘Books’, I say to them. ‘Books’, I say. I throw my weight against their locked doors. The door holds. I am smart. I am arrogant. I am lucky. I am trying to save our lives.”(18) Sherman Alexie’s point is that books can save your life, as they did his. If you spread your message around, became someone better, different, then you can save your life and the lives of others. You can be someone’s Superman.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Professor Wanda's Posse said...

Excellent quotation sandwiches (smile).

12:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Saleena Carpenter
Professor Sabir
English 1A 10-10:50
18 September 2013
They Say I Say Quotation Sandwiches

In Maxine Hong Kingston's "No Name Woman," she tells the story of her family history growing up in a strict Chinese culture. She begans with the story her mother told her about her aunt. She became pregnant by a man who was not her husband dishonoring her family and all of the villagers. All the villagers destroyed their families belongings and caused her aunt to commit suicide and also taking her child's life. When I read this I just thought how different people from other cultures are. They will disown family at the slightest disappointment. Kingston's mother warned her to never take this route. Kingston quotes her mother saying,"Don't let your father know that I told. He denies her. Now that you have started to menstruate, what happened to her could happen to you. Don't humiliate us. You wouldn't like to be forgotten as if you had never been born. The villagers are watchful (p.223)." She was showing how harsh things are being raised in such a strict culture. People would not only be disowned by their family but the whole village leaving them to live life alone.

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home