Monday, September 09, 2013

Reflection on Class Participation (emailed to Peralta address)

I wanted to let students know that I push the conversation in class because we only have 50 minutes. If I seem short or impatient, I am not feeling impatient or angry. (I will have to work on my affect)--

Don't worry, I am just watching the clock (smile).

I look at the clock often in the class to make sure we can get to my bucket list on the board at the beginning of class. When I ask if students have the book, I expect those that don't to MOVE quickly. Don't just sit and act like you are able to participate.

I need students to BE SHARP and respond in a reasonable time to discussion questions. We do not have a lot of time.

Again that watching the clock thing.


I enter the class with the assumption that students have done the reading for the week. I know it is a lot, but if you do the reading, keep logs and annotate, then you can participate.

When we reference the books, I explain what I mean, yet students walking in late want to stop the class and ask clarifying questions. If you are late, listen and try to pick up the lesson from the conversation. I do not have time to reintroduce the lesson again. If you are lost . . . you will catch up or find an appropriate time to inquire. Do not stop the class. Do not ask a classmate to explain.

There are usually lulls in the conversation. I ask questions and then wait for a response, sometimes for several minutes (smile).

I don't mind waiting, but. . . . There is that darn clock (smile). 

Seriously, you will have to bring your A Game to class and be sharp and participate. This is a laboratory where active learning is happening. I know most students would rather participate in groups; however, sometimes you have to be the lone voice in the classroom. Think of it as a chance to solo. The choir has your back and will catch you if you falter (smile).

None of us wants you to fail or look bad on stage, so don't worry. You don't have to have all the answers before you volunteer. 

I don't expect you to be an expert on anything except what you bring re: experience and primary knowledge, and even then yours is just one perspective. The strength is in the collective mind, all of us sharing what we know and that expanding as we converse, exchange ideas, grow from these interactions.

 Monday Homework:

Be brave and speak up. I don't do this often, usually at the beginning of a class. Today it was for the entire class. It was a rehearsal for the rest of the week and homework tonight, which is the identify 5 citations from Theoharis's Mrs Rosa Parks, for tomorrow. Sometimes I must lecture, and today was one of those days.

You will share in class in groups tomorrow (yah!). Then as a group students will develop a three paragraph essay about one of the essays we have read in 50 Essays. Each group will have a different essay to reference. Your choice unless taken (smile).

The short essay will be 3 paragraphs long and will utilize moves from They Say (19-29). The short essays will be posted here.

References: Hacker: Signal phrases 58b, 58c (473-479). Section 59 is next and it looks at in-text documenting sources MLA style (479-489).

Block or long quotes: 58b: 475

Brackets: Hacker: 39c: 337

sic
explained  39c: 337 We had a question about what this term meant [sic] in the text used by Theoharis in the 11-11:50 class.

Ellipses marks: 39d: 338


Parentheses: 39b: 336


38 End punctuation: 333-335

39 Other punctuation
335- 339. There are exercises here (339-340) and further exercises on-line at hackerhandbooks.com/rules   Section >Punctuation > 39-2


Tuesday homework:


Homework will be They Say page 28:1-29:2. Bring to class on Wednesday, Sept. 11.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home