Saturday, March 29, 2014

Cyber-Freewrite; post here

Today in class we read students essays using Microsoft comment. Continue revising your essay. don't forget to develop Revision Goals (Hacker 45).

For the most part the second more polished drafts were an improvement over last week. I could see a definite improvement. Utilize the Writing Center on campus here in the LRC and on other campuses if you are at Laney, Merritt or Berkeley City. I expect a high level of inquiry into the topic happiness. I also expect the essays to make sense logically.

In class essay
Next week we will watch a film and write an in-class essay on happiness using the film as evidence and
Rubin, plus other research like the forum in another post and/or the essay here by Anne Quindlen. Students will have 50 minutes to write a 500 word essay.

The film is called Happy. Visit http://www.thehappymovie.com/
Download the press kit: http://www.thehappymovie.com/files/HAPPY-Press-Kit.pdf

Reread a few of the definition essays we reviewed in 50 Essays (xxvi). Here is a video on writing the definition essay some of you might find instructive.

More on the Definition Essay

Example 2:
 

Here is an outline and a student example of a definition essa
y. You are in the world of Rubin's Happiness Project. Make sure you articulate her definition before you begin to agree/disagree/agree & disagree (They Say). 

http://www.northland.cc.mn.us/owl/doing%20the%20definition%20essay.htm

Example 3

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/composition/definition.htm

Adapt these lessons based on your assignment and chosen prompt. Your essay is based on a book where the author, Gretchen Rubin explores the topic, happiness.  Do not forget to use They Say prompts (3) in this essay. Also do not forget to your analogies, consequences, testimony (Rubin), along with a definition(s) of happiness (Topical Invention). 

Freewrite
http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2014/03/11/a-short-guide-to-a-happy-life-anna-quindlen/


The freewrite is from Anne Quindlen's Short Guide to a Happy Life. It is so beautiful. I also enjoyed the commentary that highlighted certain aspects of the text--it was like peeping into someone's journal (smile). Active reading at its best, note what the editor commented on. 

Respond here in a 250 word essay.





2 Comments:

Blogger Eleven Chrysanthemums said...

Yessica Beltran
Professor Wanda Sabir
English 1A Saturday
25 April 2014
Responce To Quindlen

Anne Quindlen is an author, a journalist, and a columnist for The New York Times. In the year 2000 she was to give a commencement speech at Villanova University. Due to some protests, she had to cancel her appearance. A student recieved her sppech and reflected on it. Quindlen addressed what it means to live. Quindlen says that work is only a part of your life, it is not your entire life. It is important to remember that you are in charge of your life. You are in charge of your mind and soul. It is important to appreciate your surroundings. Chasing after material things will not bring as much joy as you think. Quindlen talks about losing her mother at a young age and what that did to her. it made her appreciate life a whole lot more. She was determined to live a full and meaningful life. Most people take life for granted, but we must remember that life is short. We must make the most out of it. Quindlen says that it is important to take the time to appreciate what life has to offer, to enjoy nature, and spend time with our loved ones. We must remember to enjoy the little things. She advices us to look at life like a “terminal illness.” We all know that death is inevitable, so we must live for today. It is all we have.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Anne Norris
Professor Wanda Sabir
English 1A Saturday
24 April 2014
Free write Quindlen




At a loss of words really. Reading this article on Anna Quindlen's "A Short Guide to a Happy Life..... Work, Joy and How to Live Rather Than Exist" really hit home. It isn't often in this world that I relate to anyone about how I see things in life. My perspective is often looked at and viewed as "too relaxed", "unfocused" or "free spirited" I think even "not serious" has been used to describe me in my work. I value my career, my job. What I value more is my life. Shortly before I turned 18 my mother died from Cancer. I too relate and have described my life as "pre and post mom's death". It is the easiest way for me to refer to my life. I think with any major life event we describe our experiences that way though. “before kids.... after kids, before marriage, after marriage... before college after college..."etc. I found this to be a very good read and quite refreshing. Additionally I found it comforting. Anna Quindlen really has a talent. She captivated me with the way she phrased things. A nice reminder to really enjoy life and the little things. A reminder that others in this world notice the fuzz on a baby's ear and think it's precious. That after the death of my mother I noticed the difference in other's outlook, behavior and attitude towards life. Those that have yet to be fortunate enough to lose someone so close and have it open your soul to a whole other world. Thank you for sharing.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home