Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Today in class in the early class (8-9) we shared profiles of Alice Walker. It was an exercise in developing descriptions of Walker that both created for one's audience a sense of the author, and practice using the text to once again substantiate one's claims. I was not looking for a chronology which is what a few students did. I lot of students were absent this morning in the early class.

Students in the early class are not coming regularly and those who attended today are still behind in the reading. This is the same situation in the 9-10 class. In the later class we explored the topic: Womanism vs. Feminism. Chris found the definition on page 377.

The thesis I developed is: Alice Walker felt the term womanist reflected the history hand experiences of black women better than the term feminism (377).

Students then got into groups and developed an introductory paragraph (5 sentences, one the thesis on a direct quote). We went around the room and shared. Eva's group, Chris' or Yolanda's table, Jerrold's group and Michael's group were good drafts. We will continue tomorrow.

Homework
Homework was to revise the Initial Planning Sheet per my recommendations. Some students were looking at themes outside of Alice Walker's life. It's all about Alice. The theme is important only because of how it is integrated into Walker's life, per Evelyn C. White.

If students have not read enough of the book to develop an outline for their essay based on themes from the book, then the assignment was to for the 9-10 a.m. class, to look for evidence in the book to support the Womanism vs. Feminism theme. We will spend class time tomorrow writing an essay on that topic (4 paragraphs). I want the group essays posted here.

Walker Essay Due Dates
Oh, just in case there is any confusion, the first drafts of the essay are due, Tuesday, March 11. The final draft is due Thursday, March 13. I have office hours on Tuesday and Thursday. You can bring your essays by and we can review them together. You can also email me questions about the essay before March 13. I was thinking of changing the deadline and decided against it. We don't want to run out of time and I think Spring Break begins that weekend.

You can't go wrong by reading the rest of the book. This is really important. We will read The Color Purple after this book, followed by Letters from Mississippi.

Oh, I appreciate students who are on top of their assignments-- both in class and on the blog.. You know who you are. I have been reading your posts and commented on a few.

4 Comments:

Blogger tigg said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:45 AM  
Blogger tigg said...

I read your article. I see your are tried to provide best article in your website. this is good thinking but I think you need to provide much more better in future.

4:48 AM  
Blogger Sop unno said...

Hi, I am here to read your article. after 4 time reload, I got your site. I really love to read your blog. Thanks

7:32 AM  
Blogger Raisa joly said...

I hope I can follow the Homework discussion. I will try it today, your most of the topic is great, I wanna use steep by steep. I made a blog: https://www.synthesispaper.com/synthesis-in-writing-paper-professional-view/ please advice me for more improvement.

3:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home