Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Change Essay; Index Cards

1. I gave students a copy of the Initial Planning Sheet today and we spent the hour planning our essays on "change." (This was yesterday's homework.)

The topic is change. Change in your life. Significant or important change(s).

2. I also passed out the syllabus and asked students to read it. There are two assignments listed there for the next two weeks. Please also list five goals for the semester and fill answer the questions on the last page and put this and your contact information on an index card and give to me sometime this week.

I walked around the class and students shared their writing or ideas with me and I offered feedback. It seemed like the session was useful. I believe I mentioned hosting a study group this semester. What times would work for students? We could have one from let's say from 3-4 on Mondays or Wednesdays; maybe Fridays, if that's a good time. Monday and Wednesday mornings also are an option, or Thursday afternoons, unless there is a college event. I'm hosting one next Thursday, Sept. 4, 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. Back to School BASH 2: "What did you do this summer?"

Grammar/Style: see thesis sentence, independent clauses, coordinating conjunctions

Elesha Martin will facilitate the session. We will reserve a room, probably, L-235 for this to happen.

Let me know what time works for people. Oh, don't forget to bring in your planning tomorrow. We'll begin writing our introductory paragraphs and share. Thursday, you will write the essay in class. We'll meet in L-202E (I think). I'll confirm this tomorrow.

Homework is to develop your planning sheets and outlines for your essay. Bring both to class Wednesday.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caprice Eddington- Mrs. Sabir i wanted to thank you for getting me started with my changes essay and helping me come up with a thesis sentence. I have so many thoughts and just don't know where to begin as to coordinating them into an effective essay. I really want to work on my organizatinal skills this summer. I know that i am a good writer but just need some help in keeping it organized and on track.

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ms. Sabir,

For the study group time, I only can join the study group on Monday after class and on Friday after 9 a.m . For the other time, I cannot come because my schedule is full of classes. I also cannot come at night because I do not want to break my parents' rules. I hope that we would have set up the time for the study group perfectly so that it would fit on everyone's schedule.

Quyen Do

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home