Monday, May 18, 2009

Anxiety?

Many students are feeling anxiety because they are behind or missing work. If students have been attending class and have communicated with me about their absences, yet continued to do the assignments, then you don't have anything to worry about.

I am not grading any old assignments. The deadline is long passed, except for the students who have spoken to me.

Some students who have serious grammar issues and who have not utilized the academic resources, including my weekly office hours, for assistance, have cause to fret.
Some of these students are still revising the Obama essay, and have not completed the social entrepreneur essay.

I have many grammar essays to return still, if you'd like to know how you did, send me an email. I expect the best. For this level composition class, as I said in the beginning of the semester, Pidd should be concept review, not new information.

If students are not able to edit their work and correct the errors they were able to identify in the Stewart Pidd essays reviewed this semester, then the material was not mastered. Mastery or at least proficiently, was the goal.

Details are important and if students submit sloppy work I will not know the errors are present because the writer didn't know the answer, or because he or she was not a careful reader.

This close scrutiny will be given to the two portfolio essays, the Hootananny and to the Parallel Structure essay. The portfolio is the student's opportunity to shine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home