Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Cyber-Assignment: Self-reflection on the writing process for Holler--developing your presentation, choosing the poem and song and feedback from the audience. Please also include your outline, if you had one.

This is due by October 22, 2009. Students who were present make sure you post your comments. Presenters post your reflections on the process there as well. This is the more polished response to the question. All responses are posted at the same link below.

I told you about this.

14th annual October 22nd

National Day of Protest to Stop Police Brutality, Repression and the Criminalization of a Generation, Rally and March, Thursday, October 22nd, Oakland City Hall (Frank Ogawa Plaza), 12 Noon

People are angry, and they should be!

The rally and march on Thursday, October 22nd will express the outrage against a system in which police brutalize and kill people, and then does everything it can to
protect them from punishment.

First the BART murder of Oscar Grant in Cold Blood! Then, a belated indictment for murder that came only after a rebellion that rocked the streets of Oakland. Now, the
moving of the trial to insure the murdering cop “get a fair trial”.. A screaming irony, considering the "fair trial" that Oscar received at the hands of judge-jury-executioner Johannes Mehserle.

The system looks like they're fixing to let Killer cop Johannes Mehserle walk free. We've seen this before. We’ve seen this over and over. A change of venue paved the
way for the acquittal of the police that murdered Amadou Diallo and mercilessly beat Rodney King.

Though the New Years Day killing of Oscar Grant was captured on video, 5 others were killed by police that same day around the country. 23 were murdered by police
during Memorial Day week alone. Locally, the numbers keep mounting – Brownie Polk, Parnell Smith, Jody Woodfox, Andrew Moppin, Anita Gay, Jose Luis Buenorostro,
Casper Banjo – 48 Oakland police kills since 1998. From coast to coast, border to border – and thousands of others around the country in this growing epidemic. Millions more are the targets of profiling, repression and criminalization, especially immigrants and a whole generation of youth.

October 22nd is a day when people from many sections of society come together, crossing the divides that separate them, to stand with the people who are the targets of police violence.

For information contact: Oct22BayArea@gmail.com 510-725-8754

7 Comments:

Anonymous Howard He said...

We split up the work for the presentation. I did the outline and overview of the chapter while Marquez and Eric brought the poem and song with the explanation. We didn't really have a plan for the presentations, we just understood what we each needed to so individually. We didn't meet up because out time conflicted but was able to call each other for help. All in all we think we did a good
presentation.

11:33 AM  
Blogger BettieNguyen said...

Bettie Nguyen (Tram Nguyen)
Professor Sabir
English 1A
26 October 2009

When Shaquea (Shay) and I first planned for the presentation, we discussed about the themes of our chapter and we had four of them. So I asked her first to make sure she get the two themes she is most comfortable discussing about. We exchanged emails, but we never got to rehearse together. I think we were individually prepared to present because we understood our chapter. I gave her some suggestions for the pictures slide show (who she should add). We talked about what we're going to discuss when we're doing our presentation, so we both know our parts. We knew what we we're doing and what was expected of us. I think we did a great job explaining our arguments and our slide show just gave the audience more ideas about who these people were in the book. The most important thing for me is to put my group member(s) first because I don't like to be bossy and I understand how it's hard to work with people who are bossy. I put them first, and I'll work my way around the "leftovers."

6:32 PM  
Blogger Professor Wanda's Posse said...

Bettie, what were the themes you narrowed your presentation to? Did you have an outline or notes? It looked rehearsed and well-planned.

What did you discuss in the emails besides the images for the slide show?

Share a few, plus your notes, outline and response to feedback from the class. What would you do differently? What did you learn from the process? What was your most successful moment in the presentation/process?

Howard, did you feel the work was balanced? Post your outline. Did the outline include the song and poem? How did your group decide on who would do what?

Encourage your partners to respond to this Cyber-Assignment. It would be interesting to see what their experience was compared to the two of you, Bettie and Howard.

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anaya Odom
Professor Sabir
English 1A
27 October 2009


The writing process for Holler If You Hear Me was a fairly easy one for me. Writing is one of my strong points, and when I am engaged in the topic, I can really do a good job at writing. I presented by myself, so my goal for my presentation was to give people knowledge they did not already have. Also, I focused mainly on his self-expression, because that is the theme that jumped out to me in the chapter. I chose the poem, just by reading thru the book, "The Rose That Grew From Concrete." I tried to chose a poem that showed his raw feelings, because I believe his body art was a symbol of his feelings and what he had been through. As far as choosing the song, I chose a line that popped out to me. One that I can remember, "til i got that thug life tatted on my chest."

11:22 AM  
Blogger BettieNguyen said...

Bettie Nguyen (Tram Nguyen)
Professor Sabir
English 1A
27 October 2009

The themes Shaquea (Shay) and I had for our presentation was Tupac's education, his mother's impact on him or how she affected him, poverty, and Tupac's collection of books. That's four themes; I covered his education and how his mother affected that. Shaquea discussed about him growing up poor and about his book collection where she also showed the audience some pictures of who these authors were. Besides the images for the slides, we also discussed about the suggestions we had for one another; we also talked about who was talking first or who was introducing the chapter and who would wrap up the presentation. Some of my notes were about his mother and how she had caused poverty because of her addiction; Shay and I also wrote that his mother caused his failure to finish high school. I also wrote down the page numbers where my quotes were on (one was on page 71, another one on page 75). Next time, I would get my partner's phone number(s), so it would be easier to get ahold of them. I have also learned that being prepared for a presentation matters most because it will show throughout the whole presentation whether the indivuals are well-prepared or not. Some presentations were simple, but the arguments made were really excellent. While using visuals might make a presentation much stronger, the points and evidence being used and being prepared matters most.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Shay924 said...

Bettie and I planned our chapter out in advance. We knew exactly what we wanted to discussed. We both have busy schedules so we decided to communicate through email. We both assigned ourselves two parts from the book to work on separately that we would later discuss through an email.
Something that I will do differently next time is get my partners phone number to actually speak orally about the project and pick atleast one day that we would meet for a brief run though.

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie Adame
Me and the other Debbie split the work in half and yet manage to work on it together. Yet the work may appear to look the same yet we both did out on work using similiar ideas. i think that if we were more organized our work would of look more appealing i must admitt that.

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home