Thursday, October 08, 2009

Today students turned in Essay 3 or in groups worked on Essay 3 POV. If you didn't turn the essay in, please give it to me Monday, October 12. I gave students a handout to use in writing the paraphrase for Essay 4 (Be-Verb). We will make our presentations on Wednesday and Thursday. I will give you time Monday-Tuesday to plan and practice with your partner.

The essay due Monday, October 19, on Holler will be a book review and survey of Dyson's subject: Tupac Shakur. Students are to look at the book as a whole and then use your analysis of your particular chapter to talk about why the inclusion of this chapter was necessary to the discussion: how it expanded the conversation, what information it added and how it prepared the reader for what proceeded it and what was to come (be specific). All the essays will talk about the entire book, with an emphasis on your chapter: themes and key points.

I'd like you to prepare an Initial Planning Sheet and an outline for the essay. You will have time to do this on Wednesday in class. I don't remember if I already gave you copies of the Initial Planning Sheet. Did I?

The essay needs to be minimally 4 pages. Read a review of the book, a substantive bio on Dyson, as well as a published interview with Michael Eric Dyson. He talks about why he wanted to write about Tupac in the introductory section including: I Always Wanted to Make a Book Out of My Life, can you add anything else to his list after you learn more about his life or read more of what he says outside of the publication?

Bring Rose to class next week. Read the introduction, preface and forward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home