Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Peer Reviews

Today in class we used Microsoft comment for peer reviews on student Book Report papers. We will see if we can have a make up day for presentations.

Some students told me they resented my suggestion that they read a student paper on the same topic. I am a firm believer that good writing is assisted when one has models to guide the process. I suggested essays to students of peers who did a good job addressing a similar topic. None of the essays are perfect, but some students are doing a great job on the first draft, and it is commendable and I think it is great that such students do not mind my sharing these essays with others--all the drafts.

So don't get huffy, use this opportunity while the competition is zero to none to learn from each other. When you transfer and move onto larger institutions this opportunity will shrink and you will be on your own to swim or drown.

Even in art studio classes students don't necessarily share and none of my teachers at UC Berkeley suggested that a classmate share his or her paper or technique with me. I either knew how to paint the curve or develop a thesis (which I didn't). I did okay in the life drawing class.

Even after Subject A (the remedial writing course for entering Freshmen), I don't know how I passed Comparative Lit 1.

This didn't happen at Holy Names College, now University either. The one good thing about HNC though was its insistence on writing across the curriculum, so students had to have good writing in all academic classes or one didn't pass.

The only place I got to read other classmate's work--some of it brilliant, happened was when I took a writing workshop in graduate school. It didn't even happen when I was a student at Merritt or Contra Costa College.

This golden opportunity might be your only chance, unless you start a study group wherever your career takes you, so take advantage of it. The road to a 4.0 is paved with collaboative learning opportunities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home