Thursday, July 26, 2012

Portfolio Writing Workshop Monday-Tuesday at COA

We will meet in A-232 Monday, July 30, 2012, 9 a.m. to 12 noon and 1:30 to 5 p.m. Tuesday, July 31, 2012, I will be around again about 10 a.m. until about 1 p.m.


Portfolios are due by Tuesday at 10 a.m. If you need help assembling it and cannot make it Monday, let me know.

I am reading essays now. The grades are final on the essays. If you want to revise an essay with a final grade of C-, you will have to write a correction essay.

A correction essay takes each error and in great details discusses the error and how the writer can correct it, citing Hacker and/or Graff & Birkenstein as the resource. Note the handout we completed in class on confused words to see a sample of a template.

The correction essay also needs an introduction and a conclusion where you discuss how the writer (yourself) can improve her grade on the failed essay. In the conclusion you can include a quote or a witty comment.

This essay proceeds the failed essay in the portfolio. You can revise as many of the essays you received failing grades on you like. If the correction essay is not a passing essay, I will not read the revised essay it is referencing. Make sure you include a works cited page with reference to the essay and Hacker.

Taken from July 3 post:

If you chose to revise the first essay, for students who got C-, include a narrative indicating what changed between the drafts. Use Hacker for the rules that might govern the change. Have a works cited or reference page as well. Quote the error and write what the revised passage looks like now.

For example:

In Wanda Sabir's first essay, "Tough Love for Leymah," she makes many errors, so many she fails the assignment. Lucky for her, she was not alone in the deep blue sea of errors (smile). She decides to take advantage of the opportunity to revise her essay and decides to tackle it one paragraph at a time with the hopes of getting a passing grade this time around.

Her first error is dropped quotes, the authors in They Say, I Say, call them "hit and runs." She kills a lot of readers in this short yet deadly composition. There are at least eight accidents--I don't know how she is still operating in the English language. Her license should have been revoked.

The first error is in paragraph 3. She writes: "XYZ" (1). We don't know who is speaking. There are many rules pertaining to incorporating text into one's discourse. In this case, she should set the context in the signal phrase, so the reader while see how the citations follows from what is said prior: "Leymah Gbowee says while initiating a new policy at the ABC council meeting of the region (page number and author re: reference).

Wanda makes similar errors on this page elsewhere. She writes: "VNM." Once again there is no signal phrase, but this time, we know who is talking, so "She says, 'VNM'" would work here.

Not only does the writer play hit and run games with citations, she doesn't seem to know how to use MLA when citing in-text, whether that is at the end of a block quote or a shorter citation. She has a lot of trouble with quotes within quotes. Take for instance, the error in paragraph 10. Wanda writes, "OPL." (4).

And so on.



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelle Chen
Professor Sabir
Homework Assignment 2 English 1A 11-11:50
27 August 2012

When you implied that English 1A is the first transferable unit, it made me a bit nervous and usually I’m confident when it comes to English classes. I haven’t set any goals for myself just yet, I’m still getting the feel of the class. When we start reading books, I think study groups are going to be really helpful. It’ll help me understand things that I don’t get and there might be things I missed. “Writing is a lonely process. No one can write for you”, I can’t agree with that any more. Nobody knows how you feel about something, it’s all in your heart and head. Tupac is somebody I really admire, I’m actually excited to read about him and learn more. Maybe some people can relate to parts of his life and the struggles he went through. It will probably make one feel better that they aren’t the only one going through hard times. I also like how you want us to comment on others comments, it’s always nice to have somebodies opinion. If you have something mean to say, try to find a nicer way to say it. One thing I don’t like is how I have to purchase the book to get a permission number. It would make a lot more sense if I was confirmed that I’m enrolled in the class then I’ll go out of my way and spend money out my own pockets to get the books we need.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keelan Sunglao-Valdez
Professor Sabir
English 1A 11:00-11:50
27 August 2012


In my opinion, i must say that the syllabus is alot of information to take in at first. The many writing assignments seem intimidatiing but with preperation and good writing habits i should be fine. It may take some time to get into the swing of things but eventually i will get the hang of it. I am looking forward to the books we will be covering in class, and interested in the aproach towards Tupak Shakur and his life. I must say that i am really looking forward to Tupak's collection of poetry: The Rose That Grew from Concrete. I also like the fact that we will be exploring the themes of his music. The pojects intailed in the syllabus sound interesting and i do like that it is an artistic aproach towards local creativity and social change. The topic is very interesting, and there are many ranges of artistic creativity to cover.The information i found most benificial was the portion on the Writing Center. I found it very informing when searching for a place if i need help with my writing.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Matthew Robinson said...

The syllabus is straight forward and uniform in my opinion. The tutoring sessions you are providing to the students in the morning will definitely be helpful to me and others who struggle in specific aspects in essay writing. I am not excited for the reading logs for I don't usually keep track of my readings.

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeannae Williams
Professor Sabir
English 1A 8-8:50am
27 August 2012


I noticed in the Syllabus we will have a challenging 18weeks if you
1.Know what an essay is
2.Have written one before
3.Are ready to commit yourself to the task of writing.
Out of those three I can agree that I have met those standards. I think it will be a great opportunity to be able to create a study group. In the syllabus I noticed their will be alot of reading and writting that will need to be done, as far as reading that is something I don't like to do all the time but for my education I'm willing to make a effort to do what I have to do in order to pass a trasferable class. I love to write so writting about 8,000 words should be a breeze through the park with the help of Steward Pidd. I want to polish my reading and writing skills as much as possible and I am happy that professor wanda choose to read on the Shakur's because they are intresting people who I will not mind reading and being intrested in the reading. As far as Cyber Assignments I have never done assignments in that sort of fashion, but it is a first time for everything and being in school you learn something everyday being that KNOWLEDGE is POWER!

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home