Tuesday, April 23, 2013

9-9:50 Recap and A Note to All Students

Today in class we continued with the peer reviews of the BRE Fast Draft, IPS and Outline. Students also need to develop there bibliography.

To pass this class, students need to be able to document their research accurately.

After students shared, I looked at introductory paragraphs, esp. thesis sentences, IPS and some outlines. We then shifted to the SE assignment. Many students still have not had their research approved.

I think most students have as of today have gotten their research approved. If you are one of the few who have not had your SE approved, make sure you let me know, so you can start developing your bibliography and research strategy (see Hacker).

In They Say, for the SE we will look at templates from chapters: 4, 5, 6 and 7. Use templates from these chapters as well or a variation in the final essay.

For the Book Report Essay make sure you review chapters: 1-3, 4-6 in They Say.  If there is anything you are unclear on, now is the time to ask.

Students should know how to paraphrase, summarize, set up an essay using MLA, use ellipsis marks, cite properly in-text, edit out: comma splices, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement errors, vague pronoun references, verb tense errors. Students should know that when discussing the world of the book, to use present tense verbs; to give the complete name of the author and then use the last name.

Students should also know that in scholarly writing, students are to use first and third person, not second person and the use of contractions is also not allowed. Spell out numbers 1-10. (Added April 25, 2013).

If you are having trouble, you should talk to me. If there are assignments you have not had returned, talk to me after class. This is college, which means students are self-starters, but I am here M-Th. Tuesday, the day of this writing, I left the college at 10 p.m. I got here at 9 a.m.

My office hours are like the doctors, on call. Everyone has my phone number. If you do not, ask me for it again. Call me if I am not in my office D-219. I am more often in A-205 where the computers are faster (smile).

I am not doing the SE research for you. You cannot pick my brain. At this point in your career, part of the assignment is searching for a SE. Take the Library Research Sheet and use it to identify a few persons who fit the criterion for the assignment, ask for my approval and then do a literature search to see if there is enough material on the person to conduct research. Chose the person with the most documented information.

Many students have not developed a research calendar for their assignments (SE) specifically. We only have three weeks of class left. Finals Week is the week of May 20-24.

Exam schedule:

9-9:50 -- May 22, 8-10 AM
1-2:50 -- May 22, 12-2 PM
4-5:50-- May 22, 2-4 PM

I am going to reserve the F-Bldg. I will let you know where specifically. 

Portfolios due by Friday, May 24, 12 noon via email: coasabirenglish1A@gmail.com

I will host portfolio assembly workshops the week of finals Tuesday, May 21 9-12; 1-3 in A-205.Everyone is invited to attend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home