Thursday, January 28, 2010

Homework due by Monday, February 1, 2010

Respond to President Obama's State of the Union Address. Write him a letter. Tell him how he is doing, compared to how he thinks he is doing. Focus your response on 3-5 areas of interest. You do not need to address all of his comments. Use one direct quote and two free paraphrases.

Oh the letter needs to be minimally 250 words. As a rule, cyber essays are 1 page long (250 words).

Don't forget to use signal phrases.

For each cyber-post assigned this semester, respond to at least one student post. Even if I don't tell you to, do so anyway.

Oh, sorry for the mix up on yesterday's assignment. I fixed it. I am going to look for another classroom. I will let you know if we are going to relocate next Thursday. Have a great weekend. We will start Half the Sky next week, Monday.

Monday, February 1, is poet, Langston Hughes' birthday. If you have a favorite book or poem by him you can bring it in to share for extra credit. Oh, Howard Zinn (87)died yesterday (or the day before). He was a scholar and activist and social critic who wrote, A People's History of the United States. We will miss his scholarship and wit. If any of you know his work and would like to share something with the class next week, let me know. He taught at Spelman and was Alice Walker's professor. She left Spelman when he was fired (long story).

Continue working on the paraphrase assignments in SPHE. Try to complete it by next week, if not Monday, sometime next week. I will go over the answers on Wednesday or sooner if you have questions. Let me know. We will begin having a study hour next week on either Monday or Wednesday or both. Dominique will host them. I am available for consult on Tuesdays and Thursdays and late Mondays, after 3.

My style is loose and fluid, so if you are the type of student who needs a lot of structure, this is not the class and I am not the one. I will post each meeting what was covered and don't worry the syllabus is coming, but you have enough in the letter for now. The syllabus will have due dates, but the plan is flexible and we are in the world as active participants so sometimes other issues and topics take precedent. Oh, here I am again going off on a tangent.

I am trying to meet folks half-way. I am not going to close off the tributary, but I will build a bridge. This is the best place to make sure we are on the same page literally. I am a writer who writes, and it is the writing and the exchange of ideas that I really enjoy most about what I do here in the academy.

Tuesday, Feb. 2, at 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM there is a Black History Month event in the student lounge. There is also an essay and poster competition for this month as well. If you are interested in the details ask me. I have to find my notes (smile). If you go to any of the college hour events and write about it, you can have extra credit. Keep track of the extra work.

Look here tomorrow and the syllabus will be up. I'll give folks a copy Monday or Tuesday.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wanted to add to Howard Zin passing, JD Salinger died, a couple days ago as well. ;)

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Jennie said...

Jennie Lo
9:00-9:50am
English 1A
My favorite Poem to share

Langston Hughes (1902 – 1967)

I, Too

I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother,
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I’ll be at the table
When company comes,
Nobody’ll dare
Say to me,
“Eat in the kitchen,”
Then.

Besides,
They’ll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed ---

I, too, am America.

*******

(I also like Langston Hughes’s Harlem and we can share it tomorrow if anyone likes)

5:10 PM  
Blogger Professor Wanda's Posse said...

thanks Jennie for the poetry.

I didn't know that JD Salinger died as well. When? How old was he?

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff Cornelius
English 1A
0800-0850

I thought this poem was fitting to go along with the class.

Theme for English B

The instructor said,

Go home and write
a page tonight.
And let that page come out of you--
Then, it will be true.

I wonder if it's that simple?
I am twenty-two, colored, born in Winston-Salem.
I went to school there, then Durham, then here
to this college on the hill above Harlem.
I am the only colored student in my class.
The steps from the hill lead down into Harlem,
through a park, then I cross St. Nicholas,
Eighth Avenue, Seventh, and I come to the Y,
the Harlem Branch Y, where I take the elevator
up to my room, sit down, and write this page:

It's not easy to know what is true for you or me
at twenty-two, my age. But I guess I'm what
I feel and see and hear, Harlem, I hear you:
hear you, hear me--we two--you, me, talk on this page.
(I hear New York, too.) Me--who?
Well, I like to eat, sleep, drink, and be in love.
I like to work, read, learn, and understand life.
I like a pipe for a Christmas present,
or records--Bessie, bop, or Bach.
I guess being colored doesn't make me not like
the same things other folks like who are other races.
So will my page be colored that I write?

Being me, it will not be white.
But it will be
a part of you, instructor.
You are white--
yet a part of me, as I am a part of you.
That's American.
Sometimes perhaps you don't want to be a part of me.
Nor do I often want to be a part of you.
But we are, that's true!
As I learn from you,
I guess you learn from me--
although you're older--and white--
and somewhat more free.

This is my page for English B.

Langston Hughes

Free write reflection on the poem. I felt somewhat of a connection with him in this poem. Both of us being college students. Feeling a little on the outside looking in. Langston being the only collored student in his class, and I being an older first time college student starting my life post military. Even though teachers may have different views than each of us. We are as much a part of the class as the teacher is. And without one there wouldn't be the other.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Arely R. said...

Arely Razo
Professor Sabir
English 1A
1 February 2010
Response to Salvation
I thought that the essay written by Langston Hughes was a good essay. I felt bad that the little children had to lie about seeing Jesus Christ. I think that people should have explained more what was going on and what they were going to see. If a child is told that he is going to see Jesus then that is what he/she is going to wait for. When they don’t see him, they are going to feel disappointed or as if they are left out. This I think can cause problems in the world. I didn’t think that it was good for the children to start off their religion lying. Lying is something that they should not do, It was sad to hear that Langston was crying at night because he was not able to see Jesus. He must have felt bad. It is not good that because of this he now thinks that there is no God. I think that he should talk to his aunt so that he can know what went wrong and so that she could know what is wrong with him. It is important for people to believe in the person that created all.

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Juan Li said...

Juan Li
English 1A
Feb/01/2010
A poem by Joyce Sutphen who was a winner of "Happy hour Poetry" at 2008.

"As Time Always Does"

Everything was changing; nothing was.
The road that used to be gravel was tarred.
We watched, and time did as time always does.

It put houses in the fields, and across the woods it made an ugly cut; it sacrred everything with progress.

Nothing was safe from the crowbar and ripsaw's buzz.
Time carried a hammer and hammered hard as we watched. It did waht it always does.

It wandted things:stores and movies, new laws that said you had to have a neat green yard.
Eeveything was chanding.

Nothing left of the old quiet that wrapped like gauze around the wound each minute made. On guard, we watched, and time did as time always does.

Someday no one will remember us; the sky will be as now, remotely starred.
Everything was changing; nothing was.
We watched while time did as time always does.

Free write reflection of this poem: We like to put everthing in order. For example: we judge people's intelligence by looking at what degree they had in our eucation system, People from which class will represent their achievement, and we use one word "time" to count how mach we had past. Actually, before we have education system our intelligence exist, before we make up class institution that achievement exist, also before we call it "time" everything is always there. Instand of saying that time always does what he does maybe we should think about do we really know about what we are doing? If we don't know, shall we don't put ourselves too high as if we are the god of this universe. As time always does what he does, we just do what we always do and keep going as far as we could.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abtisam Kaaid
11-1-2010
English 1a

I was browsing through Alehouse 2007, and I found something that was a bit of a shock. My very own Professor Wanda Sabir, was featured in this book. Giving an interview with Al Young. I thought that must have been a very pleasant experience for Professor Sabir. To be featured in a book is amazing!
The poem that I have selected is “On Running Into An Ex-Lover”, by Kathleen Latham. This poem is located on page 46, in The Alehouse 2007. This poem was in my interest because it describes the depths into what ex-lovers encounter when they see each other again. Avoiding everything else around them, having a small conversation as your mind is running on about things you would like to do to that person. For example in the poem she describes what is running through her mind. “I want to thrust my tongue down your throat until your manners are dislodged”. Also out of all days not knowing your going to run into someone, you wear the most comfortable thing you can find. I think it’s funny and that’s actually what all ex-lovers experience when they see each other.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Jade96 said...

Jade Hooker
English 1a
Professor Sabir
8-9
I, Too

I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother,
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I’ll be at the table
When company comes,
Nobody’ll dare
Say to me,
“Eat in the kitchen,”
Then.

Besides,
They’ll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed ---

I, too, am America.

This was one of the first poems I've read by Langston Hughes in high school. It's also one of my favorites.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home