Thursday, April 22, 2010

Today's book talks were really wonderful! Overall student presentations revealed a passion for the topics/writers and conveyed this in presentation after presentation, whether that was Jon Howell on Maya Angelou in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Josh Duong on Carolyn Jessup's Escape, Victor Guerro's Danielle Steel novel, The Wedding, or Phil Redd and Emmily's Tender Murders.

I really appreciated Josh's reason for choosing his author, Carolyn Jessup. He said he was looking for a book that continued the themes of Half the Sky. it's too bad his author is not from the San Francisco Bay Area.

Victor's interest in Danielle Steel was also intriguing. I hadn't know of the best selling romance novels traumatic personal history regarding love and life. Again, too bad she is not a California writer (smile). What should the penalty be for students who chose authors who do not live here. If Josh would have consulted with me, I certainly think his reason is compelling. Hum, Victor (smile).

Edith's invitation to Julian to join her in their extemporaneous presentation was awesome. Really dynamic! Then Adrianna's closing the book talk session with a selection from Cupcake Brown's book, A Piece of Cake, was just perfect. I have to give them an A, for the total packaging.

Afterwards I found out that Julian has a personal connection to Cucake Brown, one removed. His mother met the author while out one day and said: "Are you...?" To which Ms. Brown answered, "Yes." I think there should be a film about her life like the one about the homeless man now rich stockbroker's story told in Will Smith's Pursuit of Happyness.

Ahu's love of Diane D' Prima's work, Recollections of My Life as a Women, certainly came across in her presentation. It sounded as if the student has met a kindred spirit.

Chris Kerr and Chelsea Eomuriam's authors/subjects: Joilene Godfrey and Alice Waters, showed us how their subjects/authors will work for the second essay on the social entrepreneur. I thought it funny when Chris said Godfrey's book wasn't that great, but the author's work in saving women from poverty in their retirement years and preparing girls to take care of their economic needs to prevent poverty, certainly noteworthy, an honest assessment.

Veronica Flores excitement over her book, Lopsided by Meredith Norton, infectious as well and a book I am certainly planning to read this summer along with many other titles students shared this morning.

Abtisam and Sabah both continued the collection by Terri McMillan, which seems to be an author many students have enjoyed reading about this semester. Their books A Day Late and A Dollar Short and How Stella Got Her Groove Back, different from the books shared yesterday, Disappearing Acts and Waiting to Exhale (?)yesterday.

Peter's presentation on Maya Angelou was the best I have seen so far this semester. He really knows his subject and her work and his notes were extensive and handy when asked questions.

Leonardo's presentation on Maxine Kingston's The Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood Among Ghosts, was great. One of his comments, There are no stories about men" so hilarious.

I hope I didn't leave anyone out. Please post your reflections at the assignment posted yesterday. Don't forget your self-reflections. You have one more presentation for the semester: the social entrepreneur essay. Each presentation should show a level of improvement, and students should certainly note the more polished presenters and analyze what goes into their work that makes it stand out. You can even ask such students what their secrets are, take them to lunch and ask for their help.

For students who haven't learned to project, make certain you practice for the final presentation--speak to the back of the room, or bring in a microphone (seriously). We cannot hear you. I can because I sit at the front of the classroom. I will be videotaping the final presentations.

Homework is to complete at least two Frontline World episodes and respond. Bring in headphones for Monday-Wednesday to complete the final or third one. Monday we will write Essay Exam 2, Possessives. Bring in the templates typed.

Earth Day
Don'f forget to remember Mother Earth today. Her birthday has been celebrated for the past 40 years, but of course, she is a lot older. If anyone does something literary for Earth Day (smile) or turns the experience into a reflective essay, you can have extra credit.

I shared two books by San Francisco authors: Black Nature: Four Centuries of African American Nature Poetry, edited by Camile T. Dungy, and Dying for a Change by Sean Reynolds.

Make up presentations
You can make up your book talks at the end of the semester, when we do the social entrepreneur essays. Remind me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sabah Said
4/22/10
English 1A
Mon- thurs

Second half presentations to Book Report

I enjoy the rest of the presentations today. People had the same book about Cupcake which they came together and came up with a nice presentations. I also presents today the same book as David called, “How Stella Got her Groove Back”. which I talked about the difference and similarities of the author and the character. Abtissam talked about Terry McMillan life and hoe she because author. Because her book was, “A Day Late and a Dollar Short. The Presentations of the continued nicely and I noticed my classmates and I became close to our book and out interesting it.

9:54 PM  
Blogger adri3400 said...

Adriana Ultreras
4/22/10
Eng 9-9:50
Extra credit: earth day

Happy Birthday Earth

Many people take the planet for granted. Slowly we are destroying the only place that we can call home. Some people try to raise awareness on the effects of what our pollution is doing to this planet, but not everybody cares.

Without even knowing it, my family has been helping the planet over the years. My parents come from Mexico where they have acres of fields where they plants vegetables and trees. My grandpa is eighty-eight-years-old and still manages his alfalfa fields all by himself. Around his fields he plants trees where birds lay their nests and sometimes bees put their hive (which is a big headache). This benefits his wallet since he sells some of his alfalfa and uses some on his animals. This also benefits the planet.

Back home my father brought his traditions with him. he is always planting in our backyard. I recently got him into using organic soil since the dirt we had in our yard is pretty dry. We have huge lemon trees in the front house, which comes to our benefit since we get our lemons from there. In the back yard is where he plants vegetables like peppers, tomatoes, and squash. And along the back fence I planted some cactus so the burglars wouldn’t be allowed into our house if they tried to hop the fence. We have a big avocado tree we planted like four years back and an apple and peach tree. My father plants as a hobby, but this is very good for everyone.

On earth day, my niece (6) nephews (both 3) and I decided to plant some vegetables. Since my niece was taught in her school about earth day, she came home and said she wanted to do something. I found a place in our yard and we got to work. I liked the experience since I think it is important teaching the kids the importance of nature at such a young age. If they learn young, they will be less likely to take earth for granted. I told her that plants give us food and medicine. In my house we have plants that help when we are sick. For example, a couple of months ago I had a pain in my ear and my mom told me to get a leaf of ruda (don’t know what it’s called in English) and apply it in my ear. A while later the pain was gone. And there is another plant (it is very moist like Aloe Vera) that I sliced in half and put in my toe when I had an ingrown nail and it took the pain away. These are just some of the plants that are in my house that we use as medicine. I think that helping the earth is a wonderful thing that everyone should participate in.

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Juan Li said...

Juan Li
English 1A 8:00-9:00am
Prof. Wanda Sabir
Frontline World episodes and respond

Essay B has a thesis. The thesis is, “‘The Lottery’ is a powerful story, certainly, but its reputation for having a ‘powerful surprise ending’ is undeserved.” The thesis supported a specific detail about the shabby black box. Essay A is mostly a plot summary. Comparing the first sentences of these two essays the essay B will be more directly related to the assignment. Because the assignment says, “write a 300-to 500-word essay evaluating the validity of that reputation. The write who wrote essay B has a thesis and he keeps the thesis in mind throughout. These two essays can be relative merits even by a reader unfamiliar with “The Lottery.”

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home