Wednesday, February 02, 2011

We spoke earlier this week about the closing reception at Laney College this Friday and the opening exhibit at Joyce Gordon Gallery. I have posted information about the exhibit below. If you go to any event and write about it, you can have extra credit. You can write about the art, its creators, your impressions-- Read a published review to get a feel for the type of writing critics do (smile). You can also attach the program if you like.

Keep track of these extra credit assignments. Films count as well as performances, like theatre, concerts, lectures and book events.

Art Exhibit Openings and Closings

This Friday, February 4, 2011, I am going to be boppimg between two maybe three art galleries/museums and wanted to see if you wanted to join me. I am starting at the June Steingart Gallery, Tower Bldg., Laney College at 4 PM for the Eco Art Matters closing reception and then popping by the Oakland Museum across the street, ending up at Joyce Gordon Gallery, 408 14th Street, 14th and Webster Street in Oakland, for the AeroSoul 2: Urban Hieroglyphics opening, 5-11 PM. The galleries are free. If you are with me, I might be able to get you into the Oakland Museum (smile).

Visit http://www.aerosoulart.com/Artists.html

AeroSoul, which is up Feb. 4-27, 2011, is historic in its breath and vision. If you are hip hop then you can't miss this opportunity to speak to the urban creative masters of this craft and culture, most of them probably your parent's peers.

I am just blown away by the cast of artists from Los Angeles, New York and here listed on the website. I took my English 1B class to see AeroSoul 1, and we were privileged to get a private tour of the show.

Oh, if you want to connect, that is, hang with the professor, call me and we can meet up (smile).

21st Annual African American Celebration through Poetry, February 5, 1-4 PM

I forgot to mention an event I host yearly at the West Oakland Branch Library, 1801 Adeline Street, Oakland, (510) 238-7352. It is free and open to the general public.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

David Guzman
Professor Sabir
English 1 A 9am
6 February 2011

Last Friday I had the pleasure of attending the “Aero Soul” art show in downtown Oakland. Many paintings were displayed, and many of them very well done. Two of the pictures that impressed me the most were about the superheroes of the street, both with a very good set of colors and use of 3D.

Since I was not lucky enough to hear the words of the artists, I searched online about what they had to say. One of the pioneers of this art on the West Coast, Refa One, expressed that "culture-art spray has been co-opted by people of middle-class suburbs. The aerosol art has left the hood, and the essence of what it represents - the community, cultural heritage, self-determination - has changed. " Refa especially called it a "crisis of violence," and "the art of aerosol may act as a monument to the dead, as well as a positive outlet."

Before attending I thought that the idea of this exhibition was to reclaim the art of graffiti, and show it to the public that is not familiar with it. Although I must admit that I know almost nothing about hip hop culture, I want to say that I expected much more than an exhibition of expensive paintings. I was expecting an interactive wall of work that involved the audience. After visiting the exhibit, I now realize that it was about much more than just graffiti. It’s a movement of artists to preserve the origin of this art form; not what it has become.

I am filled with curiosity to know more about what the “Aero Soul movement” is and what is being done with the community, that is, if they are working with school children or if they are painting murals on parts of Oakland as cultural expression and claim the use of the streets for the neighborhood inhabitants, such as on Mission Street, San Francisco.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home